Hugs in therapy

J

Jess21

Me and my therapist hugged for along time and he's really tall and I could hear his heartbeat it was beating really fast I'm just wondering if hugs are ok in therapy?

krista

krista

that sounds odd to be, to be honest.
I would never hug a therapist. mind you, I'm generally not a hugger anyway.

how did that happen?

merrida

merrida

I would hug mine but she's a lady. I would think it would be ok, as long as it didn't go any further than that. You need to do your job to keep it professional too.

B

BAGGPUSS

It does sound a little strange for a Therapist to get so close, I think its unprofessional to be honest.

saying that can you give me his number ? I could do with a hug .;)

mami5

mami5

My OT used to hug me all the time. He called it "hug therapy". It was very helpful. I miss it. Haven't been hugged since he discharged me last January.

Davey Blueeyes

Davey Blueeyes

This seems a little wrong to me. Did they ask if they could hug you? Who initiated it? I think these are important questions.

If a therapist knew a client VERY well and the client initiated the hug I can understand the therapist agreeing to this as it could push a sense of rejection which would be counter productive in transference.

But I can't really see this as appropriate in other situations, to be honest?

C

Chamaeleon

Don't think it's right. You said his heart was beating fast. I think he liked the hug. I would not have done that if I was him. Unprofessional.

J

Jess21

my time was up I was getting ready to leave and he said I didn't have to leave right away if I didn't want to and asked for a hug and I said ok

J

Jess21

This seems a little wrong to me. Did they ask if they could hug you? Who initiated it? I think these are important questions.

If a therapist knew a client VERY well and the client initiated the hug I can understand the therapist agreeing to this as it could push a sense of rejection which would be counter productive in transference.

But I can't really see this as appropriate in other situations, to be honest?
He initiated the hug when my time was up. And he did ask if it was ok to give me a hug

B

BAGGPUSS

He initiated the hug when my time was up. And he did ask if it was ok to give me a hug

I suppose if he asked then he has covered himself for any come back.

but still it seems a little strange, its no different than a gp hugging a patient.:scratcheshead:

ignore me maybe am jellious x lol

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I find it a little unprofessional too. We build relationships with our therapists and they see us at probably our most vulnerable but (or maybe because of this) I think certain boundaries shouldn't be crossed. But maybe I feel this way because I wouldn't want any of my therapists hugging me! How did you feel about it? Did it make you uncomfortable?

C

Chamaeleon

To be fair it must be hard for men to do that kind of work... to contain themselves all the time... I would have the gulls to say I couldn't do it. Men are visual by nature.

S

stella

I would say therapist should not make a tight emotional bound with their clients, because then they maybe have a biased view when doing his job. But on the other hand sometimes I just need a tight hug, someone to catch me when I'm down, maybe your therapist thought that the best for you in that moment was a hug, and thought he was the only one there to give it to you.

J

Jess21

I find it a little unprofessional too. We b
uild relationships with our therapists and they see us at probably our most vulnerable but (or maybe because of this) I think certain boundaries shouldn't be crossed. But maybe I feel this way because I wouldn't want any of my therapists hugging me! How did you feel about it? Did it make you uncomfortable?
It did a little bit because he has never hugged me for a long period of time before, it was a little awkward. Earlier in the session he rubbed my back and that made me feel uncomfortable too.

J

Jess21

To be fair it must be hard for men to d
o that kind of work... to contain themselves all the time... I would have the gulls to say I couldn't do it. Men are visual by nature.
This is very true 😆