• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Howdy from Down Under

Alex_

Alex_

I found out about the forums here a week (or so) ago now at a local group that meets weekly for those that experience voices, visions & other experiences. I've lurked for a bit now, deciding to finally pluck up the courage to join you all and get involved with the various forums here.

My name is Alex, I live with my loving partner and her three boys aged from 15-20, in Adelaide, South Australia. I'm in my mid 40's and this is all pretty new to me, with my life challenges (as I call them) starting not that long ago for me, in 2009. Initially, I was depressed, then anxious, then came the voices and the delusions, fun times! I am now resplendent with a minimum of four voices accompanying me at all times, going on up to what sounds like a small mob. I've dubbed them 'the Anarchic Choir' in honour of their presence and influence on my way of living, not that I've really been living, more like hiding and trying to ignore them...

I recently had the experience of respite care, which was really helpful for me, getting me past a really dark mood where I was suicidal in my intent. I wish I could say the same for the treatment I received from a Clinical Psychiatrist at my local hospital, when I was stupidly sent there by a GP, instead of straight into a respite facility, as I was requesting. This young upstart discounted my experiences of voices and delusions, because I could see them as such, with the clarity of hindsight. OK, buddy, out of what cereal box did you get your qualifications? :scratcheshead:

Enough of my whinging, fast forward to several weeks later (now) and I've seen another Clinical Psychiatrist, am still without any accurate diagnosis of my experiences, but should be commencing some anti-psychotic and mood-stabilising med's at the end of the week, if my GP receives the Clinical Psychiatrist's report by then. Funny thing happened at my session with the clinician, she ended up suggesting the two types of med's for me that I had weeks earlier pleaded for my GP to put me on... The GP wouldn't do it based on my request, she needed verification from a clinician, before she would do anything in regards to med's for me. :(

Personally, I don't really buy into the Psych. Industry / DSM being an almighty font of knowledge in regard to the many and various forms that life challenges present us with. I don't give a damn what I am labelled as, I just want to know that the appropriate assistance will be there to help me learn to actually live again.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all and maybe even my picking up a camera again, to share some images around the forums here as I gain the strength to actually get out of the house again.

Taking my first steps towards healing,
Alex

angry butterfly

angry butterfly

hi alex, welcome to the forum.

look forward to seeing your photo's.:) :welcome:

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi Alex and welcome.

I hope you're finding the forum useful so far. I'll look forward to seeing you post some of your images when you're feeling well enough.

Take care.

Alex_

Alex_

Hi Alex and welcome.

I hope you're finding the forum useful so far. I'll look forward to seeing you post some of your images when you're feeling well enough.

Take care.
Howdy Purple!

The forum is a great resource. I'm trawling through the archives and uncovering some great conversations along the way. Learning heaps and appreciating folks open dialogues and assistance in the various sub-forums.

Fingers crossed, I may have the camera out on Friday...

Be well,
Alex

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I've seen a couple of your posts around, but wanted to give you a proper welcome.
This newer clinical psychiatrist sounds a bit more promising than the last one, which is a positive.
I'm glad that the respite place was available to you and that it helped you through a rough patch too.

Alex_

Alex_

I've seen a couple of your posts around, but wanted to give you a proper welcome.
This newer clinical psychiatrist sounds a bit more promising than the last one, which is a positive.
I'm glad that the respite place was available to you and that it helped you through a rough patch too.
Thanks for the warm welcome, SomersetScorpio.

I didn't realise that respite facilities were available for us to have that all important time away from everything. I had always thought it was admission to a ward, or nothing.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marcy_Cakes Introduce Yourself 8
G Introduce Yourself 6
2 Introduce Yourself 3
A Introduce Yourself 1
E Introduce Yourself 4