• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How you guys cope with anxiety/depression at work?

• Thread starter Goodlookingloser
  • Start date
G

Goodlookingloser

I'm tried to work as a car mechanic but due to my mental condition I'm not able to continue it. I feel very tired and lethargic all day. Then I quit the job and started working as a service advisor. it was worse than the first . immense pressure from a dealership, customers, monthly targets, etc. So I quit that job as well. Now looking for a better one

Do you guys any suggestions on how to deal with work-life when you are stressed & depressed?

Keesha

Keesha

Not well. I’d just leave.
Not very helpful I know.
Sorry. No idea. 😏

vanish

vanish

I have enormous performance anxiety (and associated depression) when it comes to working. My last job, I was working with little children and often up to 30 of them at once (all preschool age). I used to freak out a lot! That was until I discovered I was actually good at my role and I received numerous commendations, both from other staff and the parents of the children. I used to freak out catastrophising the whole scenario, but then I used skills I learned in CBT and rationalised I am no less qualified than any of the other staff members and I wouldn't be put in charge on occasion, if it wasn't deemed I was qualified and actually good at my job.
I still get anxiety, don't get me wrong. But it's no longer paralysing me.

J

Johntron9999

come on guys give him solutions! dont just try to relate to him im sure you are trying to help but give him some feedback. i do agree with vanish go to therapy and just throw yourself in it. that can rewire and over come depression and anxiety. but its hard to get to that point to even get out your door so i would try a few things. antidepressants DO work and can get you out of a deep hole. may want to look into that. one thing that really helped me was eating protein in the morning and cutting out caffiegne and junk. i still eat it but not as much. i was able to eat whatever i wanted but slowly but surley i felt terrible.... literally to the point i cant even drink pop now or it gives me panic attacks. your brain is getting tired from stress and lifestyle. eating sugar and junk and caffeigne, cofffee, pop, beer it strips your brain right out of seratonin and dopamine and you feel ill with depression and anxiety... theres something going on with the communication of your brain with chemicals and nerve endings firing its not working right. its not just mind over matter it and say posative things and you will be fine. your brain health needs attention. exercise, vegatable protein, try suppliments and omega 3 and antidepressants if you need it. there are options to get you out of the rut your in you have to increase your brain chemicals and sensativity and decrease inflammation in the body and brain

Catty5

Catty5

I’m off work. I cannot work with my severe depression.
I think it’s better for you to deal with depression first ...by taking med if necessary, change your life style and diet or taking supplements etc. Walking or excercise are also helpful. it’s not safe or healthy for us to keep pushing our exhausted brain to the pint it won’t function properly anymore. Your brain need to take a rest.

P

Purpleplum

Is there something less challenging you can apply for? As for the tiredness is it medication that's making you tired? If it is, can you take it at night instead?

If you're not on medication, you may need to be.

Okie Cavies

Okie Cavies

I work in an office type job, with regular customer relations thrown in.

If I have to take on a project that I find difficult or intimidating, I break it into steps. I also alternate working on that project with other work that I find calming.

As far as dealing with people, it is all down to the personality of the difficult person. I work for/with someone who is highly hypercritical. It is not unusual for this person to drop into my office and randomly criticize. I have found that after establishing that the subjects being randomly criticized are either a)not related to me or b)cannot be dealt with or c)establish what I can/cannot do about it, I limit eye contact and pull my body language focus away from them. IE, I give no verbal or body language responses. Once they realize they are not being successful at 'winding someone up', they generally give up and go on.

I also think the old adage 'not my circus, not my monkeys' is key to remember. Just because someone else is upset, does not mean you did anything wrong, or that it is in any way related to you.

sunset547544

sunset547544

I love my office job because it takes my mind of the depression and allows me to focus on work tasks/problems instead. Upsetting disagreements with colleagues are constant, but it bothers me less the longer I have been in the job. My new strategy is to try and remain calm and agree with them initially, but then try to slowly/tactfully show them why they might be wrong, and always push these issues towards a team consensus if we still can't agree. I don't always win, and I hate the theatrical environment of open plan offices where I feel there is always an audience baying for someones blood.

LizBo

LizBo

I'm tried to work as a car mechanic but due to my mental condition I'm not able to continue it. I feel very tired and lethargic all day. Then I quit the job and started working as a service advisor. it was worse than the first . immense pressure from a dealership, customers, monthly targets, etc. So I quit that job as well. Now looking for a better one

Do you guys any suggestions on how to deal with work-life when you are stressed & depressed?
My employers know of my MH issues, so when I've been triggered they're quite understanding, ask if I'm ok and give me a break.

I take an antidepressant and have PRN med's with me in case I'm triggered, but since being in the job for a while I haven't needed to. (severe panic/anxiety) I did in the beginning as I hadn't worked for 5 yrs so confidence was low.

My manager and GP helped me develop a Wellness Plan that allowed me to start with shorter hours and work my way up to full hours over a couple of months. It was my saving grace as it gave me time to ease into the position and address any concerns slowly with their support.

I guess being self aware and honest about whether you're actually ready to start work, or you need a break to sort out what works and what doesn't can be a positive first step.
Best of luck...Liz

G

Goodlookingloser

come on guys give him solutions! dont just try to relate to him im sure you are trying to help but give him some feedback. i do agree with vanish go to therapy and just throw yourself in it. that can rewire and over come depression and anxiety. but its hard to get to that point to even get out your door so i would try a few things. antidepressants DO work and can get you out of a deep hole. may want to look into that. one thing that really helped me was eating protein in the morning and cutting out caffiegne and junk. i still eat it but not as much. i was able to eat whatever i wanted but slowly but surley i felt terrible.... literally to the point i cant even drink pop now or it gives me panic attacks. your brain is getting tired from stress and lifestyle. eating sugar and junk and caffeigne, cofffee, pop, beer it strips your brain right out of seratonin and dopamine and you feel ill with depression and anxiety... theres something going on with the communication of your brain with chemicals and nerve endings firing its not working right. its not just mind over matter it and say posative things and you will be fine. your brain health needs attention. exercise, vegatable protein, try suppliments and omega 3 and antidepressants if you need it. there are options to get you out of the rut your in you have to increase your brain chemicals and sensativity and decrease inflammation in the body and brain
Thanks for the response:thanks:. I will consider taking more protein and omega 3 in my intake. I'm going to avoid junk food as well.

G

Goodlookingloser

I’m off work. I cannot work with my severe depression.
I think it’s better for you to deal with depression first ...by taking med if necessary, change your life style and diet or taking supplements etc. Walking or excercise are also helpful. it’s not safe or healthy for us to keep pushing our exhausted brain to the pint it won’t function properly anymore. Your brain need to take a rest.
yesterday I consulted a new psychiatrist. He gave me some new medications to me and seems like it's working. I feel much calmer now. I will definitely consider walking or exercise:cheekkiss::thanks:

G

Goodlookingloser

Is there something less challenging you can apply for? As for the tiredness is it medication that's making you tired? If it is, can you take it at night instead?

If you're not on medication, you may need to be.

yes, I'm on medication for the last 5 years. But last month I had the worst set back and old medication started to show its weakness in my brain. Now I changed the doctor and on a new medication and till now it's working.

G

Goodlookingloser

I work in an office type job, with regular customer relations thrown in.

If I have to take on a project that I find difficult or intimidating, I break it into steps. I also alternate working on that project with other work that I find calming.

As far as dealing with people, it is all down to the personality of the difficult person. I work for/with someone who is highly hypercritical. It is not unusual for this person to drop into my office and randomly criticize. I have found that after establishing that the subjects being randomly criticized are either a)not related to me or b)cannot be dealt with or c)establish what I can/cannot do about it, I limit eye contact and pull my body language focus away from them. IE, I give no verbal or body language responses. Once they realize they are not being successful at 'winding someone up', they generally give up and go on.

I also think the old adage 'not my circus, not my monkeys' is key to remember. Just because someone else is upset, does not mean you did anything wrong, or that it is in any way related to you.
Tomorrow I will join for a new job. which is an office job and sometimes you have to go to field to see the clients. I hope i don't have to deal with shitty people. let's hope for the best :cheers:

G

Goodlookingloser

My employers know of my MH issues, so when I've been triggered they're quite understanding, ask if I'm ok and give me a break.

I take an antidepressant and have PRN med's with me in case I'm triggered, but since being in the job for a while I haven't needed to. (severe panic/anxiety) I did in the beginning as I hadn't worked for 5 yrs so confidence was low.

My manager and GP helped me develop a Wellness Plan that allowed me to start with shorter hours and work my way up to full hours over a couple of months. It was my saving grace as it gave me time to ease into the position and address any concerns slowly with their support.

I guess being self aware and honest about whether you're actually ready to start work, or you need a break to sort out what works and what doesn't can be a positive first step.
Best of luck...Liz
I wish every employer were like this :sleepy2:

G

Goodlookingloser

THANKS FOR THE OVERWHELMING REPLAYS.YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME:cheers::grouphug: