• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How would you approach GP?

H

hysterical-weirdo

I believe that I am suffering from depression, however I am uncertain how I'd tell my GP. I am not the most confident of people and I am rather worried about talking about this with anyone nevermind my GP :unsure:

T

Twylight

Hello and welcome

I would tell my GP the symptoms, and what I feel like in day to day life

skitzware

skitzware

Founding Member
Why not try out telling us here first?

It may help you to "get your head on straight"

J

jamesdean

Yes thats a good sounding board tell us first and then print this page and take it to your gp. best of luck James

M

mikebrowne

None of us here can diagnose (lol dont think that is the correct spelling) depression but if you were to share some of your experiences you could see if there is common ground that we are on. There are different levels of depression, some are very very low and some are very very high.
Some people who are just a bit fed up because the gas bill has come in will say "I am depressed" while some people who are very very ill with depression are so depressed that they couldnt even utter the words "I AM DEPRESSED".
So I think that it is good that at least you have written the words you have written but it is up to you to make the next step.

H

hysterical-weirdo

My symptoms..
Well I've got no real reason why I think I should be depressed, however for just over a year now I have found myself at all time low. There is nothing that would make me unhappy, my life is decent nothing at all distressing nor upsetting has happened to me.
I don't understand why I feel the way I do, I am always feeling like I don't really wanna be here. I do not feel there is anything good in life and I have become such a negative person. I question why I am crying for no reason, why I can't seem to keep myself in a reasonable mood.
It doesn't help the fact I found out that my Nan suffers from manic depression, perhaps I should put this down to genes. *Shrugs*

I don't fully understand myself.

I have already made an appointment with a Doctor a week tomorrow to talk this over. I am uncertain how I am going to talk to them about this. Never the less wish me luck. =(

Last edited:
nickh

nickh

Founding Member
First off it is very important to understand that there may be no obvious reason at all for depression. When I was first diagnosed - a long time ago :) - my life was very good and there was no reason at all that I could see that I should have been depressed. Sometimes people divide 'types' of depression into two kinds - 'clinical' where there is no obvious reason and 'reactive' where the cause is some particular event (a bereavement, divorce, post-natal, financial problems etc.). While I now think the divide is not as clear as that, it is still true that there certainly does not have to be any 'reason' for depression in the obvious sense. There is a chemical imbalance in the brain for whatever reason and this is a medical condition.

Which leads me to say that secondly there are millions of people with some degree of depression and a great many with serious degrees. I know it is hard to accept but the fact is that it is not that 'weird'. The immediate reaction with depression and other MH conditions is to blame yourself - its one of the big differences from non-MH illnesses - but really it is not your fault :).

Very best of luck with your visit to the GP - you are doing absolutely the right thing. Let us know how you get on.

Nick.

D

Dollit

Technically "clinical" depression is classified as a major depression and the initial cause can indeed be reactive - someone who suffers from prolonged bereavement could be described as clinically depressed.

I think if you have a lowness of mood that affects your quality of life then a trip to the GP is a good idea. You describe very simply but very effectively how you feel.

If there is a history of mental illness in the family then there is an increased risk of closely related people developing that illness or a form of it but that doesn't mean to say you will or that any illness you may develop is as a result of this.

Your GP will have stories similar to yours many times. If they the way you are feeling is depression and is of the lower grade they may suggest exercise, improved diet, good sleep hygiene etc. before they try anything else.

But keep coming back and talking - people here will always understand the feelings you describe.

Jo1760

Jo1760

After 4 years of feeling complete low and unhappy I finally, after a push from a friend who also suffers from depression went to my GP last week and when I say it was the single hardest thing I have ever done i'm not being 1 bit over dramatic. My friend advised me to go in, be myself take some notes of how i was feeling so that i could look at them while in the doctors encase I froze up and wasn't sure what to say. ALso in saying how silly i felt being there the doctor came across really understanding...... It's hard but in the end it's the right thing to do.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
That's brilliant jo - congratulations. Oh and :welcome: to the Forum :).

Nick.

H

hysterical-weirdo

Thanks for the advice guys
Ima going for my appointment with my GP in a moment
I dunno what Ima gonna say *shrugs*

This is gonna be hard =(

wish me luck
xx

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Yes - very best of luck :).

It is a good idea to write down the main things you want to say and also anything that the doctor says as it is very easy to forget (personal experience :)).

Nick.

H

hysterical-weirdo

Righty then
My visit to see one of my Doctors didn't go as expected. I told him how I've been feeling and such. He gladly told me that I scored 9 out 10 on the depressed scale :unsure:
He decided not to give me medication straight away but is sending me for blood tests to see if theres a 'biological' reason why I am depressed. When the results are back then my Doctor will think about medicaton.

I am glad I've started to get this out in the open, but I dunno how to feel at the moment.:(

Jo1760

Jo1760

I can completely understand where you are coming from. When I came away from my appointment I was so unsure of what to think and what I was feeling. Almost like I knew I was depressed and I had thought so for four years but when it was confirmed it was a shock and I felt in a bit of a daze for the rest of the day. Even now 2 weeks later it still feels bizarre. I guess accepting and understanding it is something that comes with time.

I hope all goes well for you and that you get the help you need. Good luck!!!

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Well done hw :). The 'scale' is one of standard tests which doctors use to ascertain whether someone is suffering from depression.

It sounds like (and I say this cautiously!) that you are lucky enough to have a good GP who is going check things out and make sure he takes the correct course of action. And having a good, supportive GP is a great thing.

I understand how difficult it is to accept - I can still remember (just :)) how difficult I found to accept it at first; but if the diagnosis is correct then you can start getting the right help.

Nick.