How will volunteering without expenses affect my benefits - ESA and DLA?

Random5

Random5

How will volunteering without expenses affect my benefits - ESA and DLA?

Can anyone advise me, from experience, the impact of voluntary work on benefits? I volunteer 4 - 8 hours a week without claiming expenses. Apologies if this thread already exists. Thanks in advance.

N

natalie

Hi Random5,

Welcome to the forums.

I can certainly help you out on this one, you can volunteer whilst claiming benefits, that isn't a problem.

The problem falls, that if you happen to then be doing call it for example paid work, and whilst claiming benefits, and you would in that respect need and have to declare earnings, this is where there could be mounting up problems.

However, volunteering is just that, you don't need to be paid money/nor expenses from the charity or organisation for it. Now it is good and pleasing that you volunteer for 4 - 8 hours a week, they are or coudl then be just very greatful for your time, and also attendance, and if you happen not to be well, or if the weather is atrocious, you are in charge as a volunteer, to then back, out, and earnings are not a problem on their part, because you happen to be a volunteer.

I hope i have understood the question correctly and I hope that i have given the answer to the best of my knowledge after volunteering and onwards still myself for many many years.

I'm Natalie, and I do a lot of ad hoc and maybe more reuglar work coming up as a volunteer, across the North West of London (via from Barnet sides) areas of London.

I do hope that you continue to progress well, with your volunteering, can be however also a good way to break, into then, and to be careful please, part time paid or full time work and depending how which i am not about to probe, your mental health conditions are like, you don't wish to have to have more stresses, than you haven't got at the moment. So volunteering off course, might well be the best option route for you.

Wishing you well with your volunteering,

Natalie.

write

write

The place you volunteer for should offer you out of pocket expenses. This won't affect your benefits.

Random5

Random5

Thank you for your advice and welcome to the forum Natalie. Much appreciated.

I have Bipolar 1 disorder - trendy! Not really, was diagnosed 27 years ago and it has been a living hell at times. That said I’ve been free from relapse for almost 12 years now. Stressors are my trigger into Mania. Subsequent depression is more enduring. While stable my mood tends to be flat and I struggle with anxiety. The volunteering was suggested by my CPN to be part of my recovery by challenging the anxiety that seeks comfort in avoidance.

My main concern is whether volunteering will reduce the DLA care component.

I hope you are keeping well. Thanks again for replying.

Kind regards
Random5

Random5

Random5

Thanks write. I don’t really incur any expenses. Any that I have are really petty amounts not worth claiming.

Kind regards
Random5

N

natalie

HI Random 5 again,

I don't think that the volunteering will affect the DLA care component, because as I've said, as long as you are not earning along side of volunteering, ie, the charity or organsiation are not paying you for your hours, then, you are fine, you don't have any thing to be concerned, if you are maybe worried, then, on Monday, seek assistance, via if you h ave a centre department, Benefits Advisory for Medical, such as mental health and dla included, and also incapicity, and they will be the best ones, to put you into the right direction, or, alternatively mention to CPN, sure, and they can no doubt support you to make enquriies, on your behalf, it might not be in the CPN's remit however, this is why I'm suggesting Benefits Advisor who deal with DLA, and Incapacity claims and they will be the best departments, or people to help you out on this.

i'm very well, no mental health reoccurrances at all, I'm fine.

Kind Regards,

Natalie.

NB; I was going to confirm about the out of pocket expenses, I just couldn't get to the terminology.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
if your on dla you'll be transferred to pip i'd wait to the transfer and reassessment personally i wouldn't trust them not to say your less disabled as your vokunteering, it's about extra expenses of disability if you volunteer you could be seen as encurring less extra expenses

Random5

Random5

if your on dla you'll be transferred to pip i'd wait to the transfer and reassessment personally i wouldn't trust them not to say your less disabled as your vokunteering, it's about extra expenses of disability if you volunteer you could be seen as encurring less extra expenses
Thanks for your reply ramboghettouk. Hmmm, given me food for thought. Don’t trust the DWP either!

M

Mr lonely

Exactly what I said the other day .... It's not what you can't do but what you can .... Why give ammunition? If ya not well ya not well .

Random5

Random5

Exactly what I said the other day .... It's not what you can't do but what you can .... Why give ammunition? If ya not well ya not well .
Thanks Mr Lonely. Am I obliged to inform them about volunteering (already started ��) by law?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Thanks Mr Lonely. Am I obliged to inform them about volunteering (already started ��) by law?
at least at the moment you've got a cpn to deal with the dwp if they get heavy but knowing cpns that won't be forever and if the dwp get heavy when the cpns gone you could have problems

your required to declare all work whether paid or unpaid

Random5

Random5

at least at the moment you've got a cpn to deal with the dwp if they get heavy but knowing cpns that won't be forever and if the dwp get heavy when the cpns gone you could have problems

Thanks again. Food for thought...

Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

F**k that shit I'd rather do a smelly diarrhea into a bucket, walk down to the job center with it and throw it over them and watch the evil bastards puke up.

You scumbags voted Tory so suck it up.

The Tories are like diarrhea the shit keeps coming.

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my gp said don't come moaning to me, people like you don't vote i said i've voted in every election since the nurses tried to stop me voting in highcroft, last time i vored labour god knows if they're different

cynical me thinks brent council is labour, when faced by cuts. and if they didn't take them they wouldn't be popular going bankrupt and services disapearing completely. anyway when faced by cuts it's the organisations who are politically well connected who get cut the least

if labour gets in and faces a crisis the mentally ill aren't electoraly popular