• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How will Olanzapine(Zyprexa) make me feel?

T

tony2010

Hi. I have been on 15mg of Olanzapine(Zyprexa) for about 10 days now. I am 22 years and and live in Scotland. The psychiatrist put me on them for high/manic mood i believe.How will they make me feel?I have been on them for ten days now and haven't noticed much of a difference. I still feel high.

emski

emski

Hi Tony. You need to tell your pdoc they are not doing much for you when you go back. I hope you don't have a long wait for your next appointment

W

white-witch

I was told by a health professional that the reason some tablets make you put on weight is because they affect something in your body and due to this effect you do not feel full so eat more!:confused:

Belblac

M

mumu

Hi. I have been on 15mg of Olanzapine(Zyprexa) for about 10 days now. I am 22 years and and live in Scotland. The psychiatrist put me on them for high/manic mood i believe.How will they make me feel?I have been on them for ten days now and haven't noticed much of a difference. I still feel high.

Try to start meditation. This is really important if you get highs - to maintain a presence of mind, so you can just calm down and simply shut off all your chaotic thoughts at will.

I have been practicing meditation for nearly two months now and I can't describe how much better I feel.

Start off doing maybe 10 minutes a day (if you can do more, then better still) gradually increase it until you can achieve 20 minutes. Sitting in quiet with uninterrupted thought is very difficult - it takes practice - it gets easier the more you do it. If thoughts enter your mind - simply say in your head "silence" or "thinking", or any word that means something to you that can stop the thoughts. One aim of meditating is it allows you to gain control over your mind. Once you can master this, getting to sleep becomes easier and above all - you generally just feel so much better.

A good place to start is a simple (sit cross legged): breathe in (count 1,2,3,4) Hold breath (count 1,2,3,4) breathe out (count 1,2,3,4) , hold (1,2,3,4)...repeat. Aim to do this without counting.

Attending classes would be even better and starting Yoga could also help.

For some reason, western treatment of Psychiatric conditions refuses to acknowledge that much can be gained from eastern spiritual practices, such as yoga and meditation. Btw - I am not saying this is a replacement for meds. but if the meds aren't working as well as they could be, perhaps try this for a while before increasing Olanzapine.

:)