• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How will I feel safe

H

Helen1960

I have recently started schema therapy. This is an intense therapy that works on childhood.

I'm scared that it will make me very ill mentally and am tempted to stop. But I don't know any other way forward.

Any advice would be welcome.

jajingna

jajingna

Hope you have a good therapist. I believe childhood is a tricky area to be investigating. If it was a difficult time, surely it is wise to proceed slowly and carefully when you open up old wounds. A little bit at a time, and take your time to process the thoughts and emotions that arise when you explore memories like those. It could be beneficial if done cautiously over many sessions. If you feel overwhelmed, that's not good. A little bit at a time is easier to manage.

Your well-being should always be top priority.

H

Helen1960

Hope you have a good therapist. I believe childhood is a tricky area to be investigating. If it was a difficult time, surely it is wise to proceed slowly and carefully when you open up old wounds. A little bit at a time, and take your time to process the thoughts and emotions that arise when you explore memories like those. It could be beneficial if done cautiously over many sessions. If you feel overwhelmed, that's not good. A little bit at a time is easier to manage.

Your well-being should always be top priority.

Thank you.