How true is this?

amathus

amathus

It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not.

(Author Unknown)

amathus.

R

Rose19602

What holds me back is worry about what I may have become.....as in what is wrong with me.

Thinking that through....I suppose that equates to not concentrating on what is right with me, which bears out your quote!
x

C

Callalily

I would say this holds some truth in it for me. I can set myself unrealistic goals of the person I feel I should be and focus on my inability to achieve these a lot more than I focus on the things I have and do achieve. I understand that if you expect too much of yourself, you will never feel good enough, I just can't seem to stop the pattern of feeling that I should be able to achieve these things.

R

Rose19602

I feel like that a lot too Cal....especially since returning to work.

I forget to allow myself to fail a bit, to have to catch up a bit, to slowly go back up that learning curve.
Instead I beat myself up for mistakes, push myself and expect myself to be as good as I was ten years ago!
You forget the water that's passed under the bridge, the challenges and the effect of the dents. I just want everything about me to be sharp, right and functioning .... but it's not!

I'm calmer though, and take less shit from others....although it keeps on coming of course!

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not.
I'm too old to change very much about my life but this doesn't ring true to me. That's because I believe that 'who you are' is determined by a combination of genetics, life experiences and pure 'luck'. I consider I could have been an unlimited number of different people living completely different lives to the one I have, but only if at least one of the factors which determined 'me' had been different. I'm not saying people don't make decisions for themselves or set themselves personal goals, but what decisions they ultimately make and what goals they set themselves is mostly determined by forces (often - other people) beyond their individual control. That's just how it's been for me - other people's experience might be different.