How to trick kids to take their meds?

F

FrustratedParent

My 15 year old is now resisting taking his daily zyprexa, I have to get him to take it. Last saturday I crushed it and put it under the pepperoni in his pizza but he had only eaten a piece of it the reheated it later on, my wife is worried that the microwaving or taking it with different foods or mixing it in his tea or juice may not be wise so I don't know what else to do?

Kerome

Kerome

I'm not sure if im entirely behind that from a parenting point of view. People have a right to determine what gets put in your body, and a 15 year old is not that far off being an adult. If it was me I'd be rather upset about getting drugged against my will. Surely it's better to get into the discussion in depth about why not zyprexa?

You should be aware that there is a significant counter culture against psychiatric drugs, especially in the case of kids, most of which revolves around patient choice except in the cases where he or she is a danger to self and others, and this doesn't sound like one of those cases.

F

FrustratedParent

Well, the situation is, after the depression gripped him last year and he was hospitalized, he came back to almost normal with the zyprexa but since that was only for a short period he was then put on zoloft which made him worse so the psych put him back on zyprexa to get him back to normal then we can try something else but if he doesn't take this med and every day he will never get better so as a parent what's my choice if he refuses to take it on his own, just sit by and watch him get worse and end up in an institution?

pepecat

pepecat

Am I right in thinking (from another of your posts) that he's in a treatment centre at the moment - after being in the ER for a bit? Are they not making sure he takes his meds?

I think you also said he had ADHD / Autism - is that right? Is there any scope for any talking therapy for him at all, or would he not cope with that?

Gajolene

Gajolene

Do not hide his meds in his food. Even if he's refusing his meds. If he found it hidden, that would definately break any trust he has in you. Probably make him refuse completely afterwards. Even if he relapses and becomes ill again because he won't take his meds, you can not force them on him. He may end up hospitalized again but then the hospital can decide if the bad side effects of the medication are too much for him and change to a different medication accordingly. Just be supportive of him in any way you can while he is going through what he's going through with his mental health. I do understand your frustation as I have a med resistant son with severe mh problems as well whose relapsed several times.

Just adding that he has to come to accept the meds on his own. The professionals are the best ones to deal with it when it happens and he relapses. By relapsing he will come to know he isn't cured and learn that going off them makes him ill again. Unfortunately this isn't an easy road but in the long run a necessary one. He will learn to be responsible for his own health even when he is still ill. This is just my experience but necessary in my opinion.

Last edited:
F

FrustratedParent

It was while he was in the treatment center that they had him on zoloft but they stupidly went from 25 to 50 to 100mg even though seeing that he was getting worse then we was discharged and was back at regular school so his private psych said let's try to get him back to normal with the zyprexa again then we can try different things so that's where we're at.

@Gajolene
thank you very much, your advice is well heeded and I think that would be best.

F

FrustratedParent

He was discharged from the treatment center last month then his psych started rolling back the zoloft from 100 to 50 to 25 then after a few days we started the xyprexa. The school's counselr did get him to admit that he doesn't like how the zyprexa makes him feel but since on the zoloft he has gotten very defiant and does not speak to us and I can't get him to visit the psych.

Gajolene

Gajolene

zyprexa is a stronger medication than the zoloft and it can take up to 6 months till the bad side effects subside and the full good benefits kick it. I know this isn't an easy time, his illness could still progress and even stronger meds be introduced when he is older and more developed in maturity. Try to encourage him to be patient with himself and give the new meds a chance to work if his physical side effects aren't too bad to continue. I tell my guys they aren't aspirins and are very specialized to help and it takes time especially with anything adjusting brain chemicals to work to it's full advantage. If he is still bad after 6 months I would ask the doc's and adamantly recommend a med change, not just a dosage change again with the doctors. Have had to fight for it a few times myself with my boys, as their symptoms progessed with aging.

I have to go but will check in on the thread when I get back online later.

One last thing if you do find something is going really well for him, do not adjust his dosage anymore and inform his doctors that he will not be changing dosages as long as the current one is working. Hope this helps as well take care.

Last edited:
F

FrustratedParent

Understood on the waiting time but what about the psych trying another med instead of the zyprexa right now? Maybe there might be something else which can start working right away?

pepecat

pepecat

All psych meds take a while to work. Some take longer than others, but it's usually a few weeks at least to get to therapeutic levels, possibly longer. And if a psych decides to change meds, you might find your son has to stop one, or taper off, while the other new one is being built up, so you're not going to get a reduction in symptoms any time soon.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but you seem quite keen on the whole meds thing as 'the fix'........ Like you want a quick and easy answer. Is he getting any other help or support? Talking? Any other stuff?

F

FrustratedParent

I hope you don't mind me saying, but you seem quite keen on the whole meds thing as 'the fix'........ Like you want a quick and easy answer. Is he getting any other help or support? Talking? Any other stuff?
No I am definitely not keen on meds of any sort, just that we don't see any other options, when we first started noticing problems with him last september we started taking him to a therapist but after 2 months of it, it got so bad we had to take him to the ER. It was only when he was in the mental hospital that he took any med [zyprexa] for the very first time in his life and it's only because that worked to bring him back almost to normal prior to switching to zoloft is why I am anxious to have him go that route again. It has already started working only after a few days but I am guessing he doesn't realize that.

F

FrustratedParent

I had a talk with him trying the direct approach and told him very calmly it's either he take the med and get back to normal like last time then we can look into all other options or he go talk to the psych right now which he refused to do last 2 appointments. It's either one of those 2 choices or he will simply get worse and have to end up going through the whole ER and mental hospital routine again, there' nothing else I can think of or do so I am guessing it's totally up to him now since he has been so defiant for a few weeks now and refuses to speak to me or his mom.

F

FrustratedParent

Hmnn, looks like after speaking to him yesterday he took the pill and again this morning on his own.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

That's good!
I see your dilemma from both sides - as a parent you'd do anything at all to keep them well and out of hospital but as a person with mh difficulties you'd do all you can to not take meds!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Depression Forum 2