• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How to tell them?

M

Matt1357

I've been living with social anxiety for at least 9 years. I'm doing anything I can to help me combat my negative thoughts all the time whenever I try to talk to someone, even with my friends.

In my current situation as a student taking online classes, we have been tasked by our teacher to find a group (which is one of my worst nightmares) that we will be with for the rest of the semester. The problem is I'm not even chatting to my friends anymore because of my social anxiety (they've been asking me about me not replying to them when Covid-19 is not yet a thing). As a result, I was offered by one of my classmates (I'm not that close with them) to be in their group. I said yes. I don't want to talk to my friends about the groupings because they might not understand why I'm not chatting them because of my social anxiety and just laugh at me because of it.

Then my problem starts. After the day I agreed to be in their group. I wasn't chatting them about the things needed to do in the project. We have a group chat, but I wasn't answering. One night, I checked the messages, and I saw that they were like "laughing" at me because I was inactive a long time and never contributed to the group. That really hurt me.

Since then, I don't want to be in my online classes anymore (which affected my grades), because I don't know what excuse I'm going to say to them. I don't think that telling them that "I got sick" will work.

I've been absent in all my online classes for two weeks now. Obviously, my teachers will be questioning my absences, and I don't know what to say (making me more scared).

I've been thinking about telling them that "I've been absent for two weeks because I have personal problems". I don't know if it will work, but I can't think of anything else to say to them so that I can get back in my online classes. They might ask me what problem it is, but I don't want to open up my social anxiety problem to them (even to my group mates because I'm not close with them) because they might judge me for it.

I honestly think that whatever their reply may be, I might get hurt. I don't want to feel any pain, but I have no other choice since it's school. I need to talk to them or else I will have a failing grade.

What am I going to say to them? How should I react to what they're going to reply back to me after telling them the reason?

Please help me :(

Desire less

Desire less

Try tell the teachers the honest truth they will respect it... perhaps give you some options to talk with someone.
Holding up all this anxiety inside makes it worse...try talk to someone about it...so many people suffer from it.

MoonShapedPool

MoonShapedPool

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hey 👋
You know what?I would just be completely honest with them.
Mental Health is more understood,these days.
Just explain you have Anxiety,or tell them about the Social Anxiety/phobia.
I bet you they will be real understanding 🙂
Maybe you could even speak to the person in charge & explain to them,
& they may advise how to handle it,going forward in the future.

P

Purpleplum

Why do you say they were laughing at you? Examples?

M

Matt1357

Why do you say they were laughing at you? Examples?
I mean they were making fun of me in the group chat for being inactive for a long time.

They said things like "Not even one seen in the messages hahahaha" and "Told you he was online hahaha" (The second one was sarcastic I suppose).

Those were not their exact messages, but it's similar to what they have said in the chat.

P

Purpleplum

I mean they were making fun of me in the group chat for being inactive for a long time.

They said things like "Not even one seen in the messages hahahaha" and "Told you he was online hahaha" (The second one was sarcastic I suppose).

Those were not their exact messages, but it's similar to what they have said in the chat.
I'd tell your instructor. They sound like immature dweebs.

OCDguy

OCDguy

I think if it were me I would speak to someone about it. The sooner your situation is understood, the sooner things can be done to help. Hope this helps :)