E

Eigau

This is the process I have followed that has taken me from an abusive situation with voices to one that is supportive.

1. Search - look for voices that have the most potential to talk with. Your natural reaction will be to ignore the hostile voices and look for the least hostile. In my opinion, what you should look for is the most interactive, voices that already are talking to you may have the greatest potential to start interacting with. It is not easy, and maybe the hardest step.

2. Determine - so you've found a few potentials. Starting with the one with most potential you may need to determine that you will persist with this one and give it a good go before moving onto the next potential. Do not give up easily, voices may need some encouragement and often they have been talking about key subjects that might be the key to talking with them.

3. Test - I prefer to talk in my mind to the voices, this keeps discussion confidential and personal, but can be taxing if you are not used to it. In your mind say something that is connected to the subjects that the voice talks about. At first try to be direct and say something like "do you always feel that way about (subject)?". If they do not respond try pretending to speak to yourself in interview form as if you are speaking to someone else. If still no response, try repeating what the voice is saying. If still no response don't be downhearted, voices often have trust issues so give it some time and come back later and try it again.

4. Interact - So they've noticed you. Try to carry out a reasonable conversation. Don;t expect too much this soon, and please be aware that prolonged discussions can tire you out and create a power imbalance between you and the voices. When you are tired or in a weakened mental state can be an opportune time for voices to overwhelm you. So try small discussions and make sure to look after yourself.

It's important to note that, one must have the greatest respect for voices because it is like the sea if you do not respect it, through a healthy knowledge and awareness of it, it can overwhelm you in a short time. Please be careful if you try this, a support person in the same room or near by may be ideal for this process.

As time goes on, you think less about this process and it becomes more natural talking to voices. Eventually it is an automatic thing and voices may ask if they can speak to you instead.

Take care, Te

SarahD

SarahD

I think the voice most likely to interact is one that is critical, but he addresses me directly, so that is half way to a two way dialogue. So I will try him first.

Thanks for the information Te.

burt tomato

burt tomato

My voices are vile. Miserable and self-obsessed. I can't stand them. Rather just get drunk and ignore them.

burt tomato

burt tomato

my voices are going mental. it is actually quite funny!!! :)

burt tomato

burt tomato

Why are they going mental Brat? Good that you can look at the funny side.
Sorry Te. I seem to latch onto the latest voices thread and vent on it.

What I meant was, the voices appear to becoming desperate and it makes me happy after all they have put me through.

L

LM1974

I don't knock this method if it works for you, but I don't think it is for everyone.
I have tried this approach and when I sat to talk with them they would just disappear .
All of my voices are nasty.
I think it is more important to start with compassion towards yourself. My voices are very manipulative and have previously taken advantage of my having sympathy for them. Now I feel that it is not my job to 'mother' them and I ignore them as best as possible.

Kerome

Kerome

My voices were never really that hostile, and mostly not interactive enough for me to talk to them like this, in a sustained way. They would often change roles, and rarely would they become individually identifiable, with one or two exceptions like "the alien".

But I did notice over time a reaction to my attitude to them. Hostile or revengeful reactions tended to create negative feedback, as did panic or fear, making things worse, while being compassionate towards myself and them slowly created a more positive environment. Another thing that created a bad response was telling them they were unreal, while the more I treated them as close to real persons and with respect, the better my relationship with them became.

One of the last things I tried was assuring them of cosmic love, and trying to send them the sensation of love as a gift from my heart to theirs. It was like a beam, it only seemed to work if I could localise them and maybe lay on hands on a specific spot on my head. Somehow the feeling of hands would calm them down. This would often have very beneficial effects.

E

Eigau

I don't knock this method if it works for you, but I don't think it is for everyone.
I have tried this approach and when I sat to talk with them they would just disappear .
All of my voices are nasty.
I think it is more important to start with compassion towards yourself. My voices are very manipulative and have previously taken advantage of my having sympathy for them. Now I feel that it is not my job to 'mother' them and I ignore them as best as possible.
Interesting comment LM1974. From what I've read on the psychology of voices, they are essentially aspects of you and represent various ways you might respond to given situations or unresolved issues that are manifesting through voices. So it follows that the way you treat voices is how you are treating yourself. If you have respect and compassion for voices you are showing yourself respect and compassion. If you ignore the voices you are ignoring aspects of yourself or deeper issues that may need resolving. The deceptive part of voices is that we can often deceive ourselves unintentionally. My voices may be positive now, but they used to be hostile. Only through dialogue with them and resolving or processing the issues they represent have I found peace with them.

I hope you find something that works for you though.

Take care,

Te

E

Eigau

My voices were never really that hostile, and mostly not interactive enough for me to talk to them like this, in a sustained way. They would often change roles, and rarely would they become individually identifiable, with one or two exceptions like "the alien".

But I did notice over time a reaction to my attitude to them. Hostile or revengeful reactions tended to create negative feedback, as did panic or fear, making things worse, while being compassionate towards myself and them slowly created a more positive environment. Another thing that created a bad response was telling them they were unreal, while the more I treated them as close to real persons and with respect, the better my relationship with them became.

One of the last things I tried was assuring them of cosmic love, and trying to send them the sensation of love as a gift from my heart to theirs. It was like a beam, it only seemed to work if I could localise them and maybe lay on hands on a specific spot on my head. Somehow the feeling of hands would calm them down. This would often have very beneficial effects.
Yes, there does seem to be a co-relation to how we treat ourselves and how the voices react. Guilt often manifests as an angry voice. It may be the death of someone you loved but felt some measure of anger towards yourself for not doing something or doing something. If a person finds the ability to forgive themselves and have some closure with the guilt the voice may change or even return to where it came from.

Kerome, in the system I use, voices that have little interactivity are more difficult to reach and may represent issues that go back quite far in one's lifetime. At time's I have employed more interactive voices to help the harder to reach voices. While they are initially reluctant they may try. It is this attempt that often starts a dialogue with more difficult to reach voices.

Take care,

Te

F

flatz

I don't talk to them, I find bashing my head against the wall more easy. anyway they talk/argue between themselves quite happily.

L

LM1974

"Interesting comment LM1974. From what I've read on the psychology of voices, they are essentially aspects of you aNo represent various ways you might respond to given situations or unresolved issues that are manifesting through voices."

My voices don't represent me but other people who have hurt me, though yes they do represent ways I might respond to various situations.

I'm not convinced that it is just my mind that generates the voices but that is another debate

E

Eigau

LM1974, that's a fair comment. We just don't know enough to rule one way or the other. What I have noticed though, is that this is the angle that the hearing voices movement goes with. And those who accept their voices as self generated have an easier time managing their situation. Whereas those who do not, find it really hard.

Perhaps it's because, not many, if any, would consciously torment and harass themselves. I do think it's relatively easy to rule out other people that you know harassing you.

I have had the voices of my mother and father talking at night time for about 6 months. They are in their room across the lounge and what I hear is like their muffled speech through the walls talking about me.

I know it is not them because logically, two elderly parents would not stay awake all night to discuss me. Also the pattern is the same it is the same subject, the same words, the same people. So it is more likely to be me, thinking that they are talking about me and my minds version of how the conversation would go based on my mental profile of them.

Or walking through the shopping mall hearing what seems like other people's thoughts toward me is more likely my anxiety of crowds manifesting. Why would everyone be thinking about me? seems very introspective.

However, in saying that, I did have a weird experience the other day. I walked into the vege shop and two people reacted as I walked in. I did not know them yet they oh'd and ah'd. The guy just carried on out of the shop but the girl stopped in front of me stared in an uncomfortable prolonged way at my forehead then left. It was deeply disturbing. So while there are experiences to suggest more than the mind is at work with voices. The balance for me so far is that the mind plays a major role in this.

I also happen to believe that voice hearing can have multiple causes for different people. For some it may be a spiritual threat, others it may be a physical or mental anomaly.

There's just so much we dont know.

Take care,
Te

L

LM1974

I think it is true that people who believe voices are self generated -a hallucination find things easier, but these people probably have better support systems, don't abuse drugs etc. For example if you are surrounded by people who care for you and repeatedly tell you what you are experiencing is not real is likely to help you to assimilate the experience in that way.
Personally I have only once been told by a mental health 'proffesional' that my hearing voices was a hallucination, so I think this has contributed to my belief that my experience was real.

F

flatz

I ignore my voices, I sometimes feel bad because not all of them are nasty. the nastly one above all others is a female.

E

Eigau

Sorry to hear about the nasty female Flatz. If a person choses to interact with voices, they should know that it is a very difficult balancing act. But the hard work does pay off. From one angle, voices are the result of the subconscious venting excess pressure. Often it has accumulated to such a degree that the initial stage is very intense and difficult to get through. Others have a gradual incline and then a sudden turn. The challenge is knowing when to talk with and not to talk with voices. A bit like steering a boat on a stormy sea.

Take care, Te

calypso

calypso

Admin
I read the first post Te, but couldn't read all of them. How do you cope with a 'man' in the house who is shouting, then whispering and laughing at you. I can't find him, but he sounds as though he is in different rooms.

I tried to talk with my 'lady' and she was lovely and kind and gentle. I grew to trust her and then she turned on me when I was comfortable with her and demanded I self harm, badly, and I became very distressed and did as she asked. She went quiet after that for ages, like I had done what she wanted. She turned nasty eventually. So I lost respect for her. The other man is vile and disgusting. I can't possibly talk to him. But he has gone lately.

Diesel1988

Diesel1988

My voices are like a gang of men who want to belittle and undermine me, they say that i am not worth anything, and to self harm also. They have been around for the past five or so years, and in that time they gained my trust enough to tell them my whole life's story, at first i thought it was my own mind manifesting another person, so i wasn't alone all the time, but over the years they used every detail of my life against me. And I didn't have a good life before the voices, actually a very cruel and terrifying reality without voices, but they used every detail, every thing I thought about my past against me. So they made my PTSD worst, and I'm hearing voices, and they think its a big game. To humiliate and destroy my life everyday.

E

Eigau

Hi Diesel1988, I can relate to what you are going through. I had supportive and hostile voices. At first, I thought my mind was compensating for intense loneliness. The supportive voices had a way of making me paranoid about everything. They knew every detail about my life too and used anything I regretted against me, and more. It was an intense, chaotic time.

Only through talking to the voices and learning how to balance the give and take situation has it resulted in turning it around to a mostly positive experience. I am much happier now.

Take care, Te

W

wellness

A good way to interact with the Voices that I have found is to sort them ... GOOD from the BAD ... all the mad, malicious, crazy etc ... lump them into the BAD ... and then you can easily focus on the few GOOD ones ... usually and most commonly one faces the problem with Voices as the BAD dominate over the GOOD and hence their general predisposition is what the BAD manifest ... that we all know as the maliciousness that emanates from them ... If you can turn the situation around and get the GOOD to RULE in the world of the Voices than you have a more serene situation ...
Cheerio !!