How to support someone who keeps stopping their antidepressants

T

Trueblue

Hoping for some advice on how to help a friend who is depressed, regularly speaks of suicide, doesn't leave their room and has no semblance of life. They have tried many different antidepressants over the last 6 months but never get beyond a couple of weeks at most due to side effects. My feeling is that if they could continue on them for longer they might actually work but what approach should I take? Gently supporting them at their own pace or a more assertive approach, booking GP appointments for them etc.

T

Trueblue

I guess I don't know whether it's a case of waiting for my friend to accept the need the antidepressants (while I support and encourage) or stepping up to take more of a handhold but strongly guided role. They feel alone, and completely lost

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi ,welcome
i wouldn't book a gp appointment on their behalf but i would suggest to them gently they went to see their gp
i think you should tell them exactly what you have said to us here

i know it is hard when someone we love speaks of taking their own life ,all you can do i think is be there for them which it sounds like you are already doing a good job at
make sure you look after yourself too though
welcome ,love Lu x