• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

how to stop past mistakes haunt you and stopping you from being a better person

• Thread starter idkwhattoputasausername
  • Start date
I

idkwhattoputasausername

first time on this so I don't know where to begin so ill just say what's on my mind for the last couple of days, when i was 18 i did something really stupid that got me in trouble with the local authorities, I didn't get a fine or sent to court but I got a warning but it is kept on the electronic system and I'm worried if that's going to stop me from getting a future job when i graduate from university or travel abroad with this, I haven't done anything else the same this was the only serious mistake I have made and I have learned from my past mistake, but with this I have this in the back of my mind, I have pushed away close friends cause I don't want to be a burden with them and for them to know my stupid mistake. its gotten to the point where they have notice a change in character from me. and I don't want to change the person I am I want to stay the bubbly person i am in the friend group but with this burden it is really difficult for me to move forward.

this is a lot and I don't know if many people will relate to this but I'm hoping to find an answer to my question and hopefully move forward from this

B

Bod

Former member
Welcome to the forum, I am sorry you got into a bit of trouble and it would be up to other countries looking at how serious the law break was. If I was you then I would try and talk to your friends as they might well try and help you through your anxiety, I have put a link in so you can try the exercisers as they do help.

I

idkwhattoputasausername

i understand that different countries will affect the different law breaks but what happened was on a night out i bought a friend of mine alcohol ( 17 this person was ) so he was underage by 1 year but idk if it would count as a serious offence or something as a minor offence

I

idkwhattoputasausername

thank you so much, honestly ive been really scared about opening this up to other people, ( cause obvs the internet) but obvs what ive heard about other people having records and things like that saying how they cant travel to certain countries due to what they have done and that made me really anxious to the point where I become really depressed, having severe panic attacks and stopped eating due to the amount of stress.

but honestly I'm really happy ive found this forum and I'm really happy ive met really supportive people like yourself and i want to say thank you for taking time out your day to help me feel more at peace and hopefully finally settle myself down and to get my head back in track

Thank you for everything and hope you have a wonderful day or night where ever you are <3

take care :)

A

AppleJacks999

Former member
Refocus your mind. Just move forward, and the best thing you can do is be the best version of yourself. Live your life.

B

Bod

Former member
Your more than welcome, I'm in the South of the UK. Try and reach out to your friends though.

I

idkwhattoputasausername

Refocus your mind. Just move forward, and the best thing you can do is be the best version of yourself. Live your life.

i am trying to be the better version of myself and ive focused more time towards my studies and not going out to get wasted as I have 2 more years until i graduate from my university and i hope to tell my future generation of what has happened to me in the past and hope it doesn't happen to them

I

idkwhattoputasausername

Your more than welcome, I'm in the South of the UK. Try and reach out to your friends though.

that actually makes me feel even more at ease cause I'm from the north of UK and I'm glad your from the south so at least we are from the same region and from what you told me earlier saying how i shouldn't worry about it makes me smile :)

B

Bod

Former member
It was while I was living up north that I started to get help for my mental health, then I moved back here years ago.

T

Traveler5

I don't know how the law works in your part of the world but if you were given just a slap on the wrist for what you did I doubt that it's a big deal with the courts. It may not be on your record but even if it was it's so minor that I doubt it will prevent you from entering another country or getting a job. In the US there are basically two kinds of criminal law: Misdemeanors and Felonies. It's very serious when a person is convicted in a court of law of a Felony. They usually fall into the categories of murder, robbery, kidnapping, rape, and other sex offenses, distribution of drugs, etc. Misdemeanors are lesser offenses but still serious. I don't think that what you did would fall under either of those categories. Most employers in the US would hire you unless you're a convicted felon, which your offense doesn't even come close to.

I

idkwhattoputasausername

I don't know how the law works in your part of the world but if you were given just a slap on the wrist for what you did I doubt that it's a big deal with the courts. It may not be on your record but even if it was it's so minor that I doubt it will prevent you from entering another country or getting a job. In the US there are basically two kinds of criminal law: Misdemeanors and Felonies. It's very serious when a person is convicted in a court of law of a Felony. They usually fall into the categories of murder, robbery, kidnapping, rape, and other sex offenses, distribution of drugs, etc. Misdemeanors are lesser offenses but still serious. I don't think that what you did would fall under either of those categories. Most employers in the US would hire you unless you're a convicted felon, which your offense doesn't even come close to.

thank you, i know the US is strict with their law and im happy it doesn't fall under any of them categories makes me feel more at ease with myself :) again thank you for the time taken out of your day to help me with ym problem i really appreciate it <3

B

Bod

Former member
Thank you, remember to carry on using the forum when you can as it is so helpful here to us all.