• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

how to stop feeling sorry for myself

G

googlyeyesgirl

I know I don’t have it that bad, but I can’t help but sit around all day being sad that I am the one with depression, or I’m the one whose siblings don’t like them or any other problem I have.

Whenever I face the reality that even though I do feel like my life sucks, I still have to live it. But i have no idea anymore. I don’t know how to be grateful and enjoy life. I just let myself sit in bed and be miserable and ignore my friends and family. I act like no one understands me and how I feel, but I guess I don’t put in much effort to explain. I feel sad because no one helps me but I never ask for help.

How do I go about trying to recover friends and relationships and start to put my life back together? How do I learn to be disciplined with myself so I can get better ?? Please help

J

Jazzrara

You've said you just let yourself sit in bed and be miserable and ignore your friends and family. You also said nobody understands you, but that you don't feel as though you put in the effort. Do you feel able you able to change any these things and see how things work out, or do you feel your depression is stopping you trying to engage with the people around you.

Do you have any help from your GP or any other services who might help you see a way out of the depression you are feeling. It's not a nice trying to cope with depression on your own. I hope you can reach out to your family or friends to see if they can help you.

G

googlyeyesgirl

You've said you just let yourself sit in bed and be miserable and ignore your friends and family. You also said nobody understands you, but that you don't feel as though you put in the effort. Do you feel able you able to change any these things and see how things work out, or do you feel your depression is stopping you trying to engage with the people around you.

Do you have any help from your GP or any other services who might help you see a way out of the depression you are feeling. It's not a nice trying to cope with depression on your own. I hope you can reach out to your family or friends to see if they can help you.
I do have help from my GP. I’m taking antidepressants but I don’t feel like those are helping much.

I just feel so guilty and unworthy or helps that I don’t really know how to ask for help. My depression is definitely impacting how I can engage with people around me. I guess I do need to try though. It’s hard because people who aren’t struggling in that same way don’t understand how difficult it is to put on a happy face all the time and how exhausting it is to interact. But i do miss having fun and laughing and just enjoying life

J

Jazzrara

You shouldn't feel guilty or unworthy, it's not your fault you feel this way. I also have problems with my mental health and find things difficult like you at times. Sometimes it's nice to have your own company and timeout, but you can sometimes become trapped into that way of thinking which results in you issolating yourself too much. I speak from experience because I do it myself at times and know I have to step out of it when it's making me so unhappy.

I would also speak to the GP again because they might change your antidepressants or may suggest something else. I hope you feel better soon.

G

googlyeyesgirl

You shouldn't feel guilty or unworthy, it's not your fault you feel this way. I also have problems with my mental health and find things difficult like you at times. Sometimes it's nice to have your own company and timeout, but you can sometimes become trapped into that way of thinking which results in you issolating yourself too much. I speak from experience because I do it myself at times and know I have to step out of it when it's making me so unhappy.

I would also speak to the GP again because they might change your antidepressants or may suggest something else. I hope you feel better soon.
Thank you so much. Just someone responding makes me feel heard. Wish you the best with your mental health journey also

W

Wewillmakeit

Hmm where do I start..... so much going on in my head even as I write this... trying to re wire your brain after so much emotional and mental abuse is the hardest thing ever I am now 27 been bullied from 2nd till high school. Funny part I never let things get to me then. Now a day it’s all I think about. How unworthy I am, and how lost I am. It’s hard to talk to people around me because I already put up this tough wall and this persona that I am fine. I believe I am not dealing with Anxiety having panic attacks where I feel like I can’t breathe and I’m near blacking out from hyperventilating too much. Thinking about a psychiatrist because I can’t put this on my family. In fact I don’t want to.

B

Bod

Former member
I'm sorry you are not feeling great and one main thing NOT to DO is drink alcohol as it will just make matters far worse. You need to really try and force your self out of bed and do small things like open a window get dressed brush your hair and teeth as doing small things first puts us in a better position to start doing more for our selfs. Try and talk to family and friends and explain just how you are feeling and go from from there.