• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How to sit down and exercise less

R

Rebecca__

I've been struggling with anorexia for the past 6 months now and am at a dangerously low weight. I'm eating 2000 calories each day, which should be enough for slow weight gain considering the weight I am at, but I often feel guilty in the day and I won't let myself sit down unless I'm eating, in a car ect as I feel I have to constantly be moving in order to burn off what I'm eating so that I don't gain weight.
Is there anyone who could offer advice for getting in the right mindset for wanting to gain weight and possible things I could do to sit down and relax without feeling guilty or the need for exercise? Thank you

A

aisha23

have you tried meditation?

relaxation is important, and their are loads of youtube videos, cds, to do with meditation that maybe able to help you

I don't really know what I can suggest about the whole gaining weight thing

I guess all I can really say is that it's important to maintain a healthy weight (I have had experience.)

good luck

M

Mary26

Rebecca, if you're at a "dangerously low weight", have you had your vitals checked to make sure it's safe to move around so much? Because my first thought is for your safety. And to answer your question, it was a visit to the doctor that shifted my whole mindset. I also had an exercise addiction but was surprised by how quickly I was able to adjust to tolerating the discomfort of just sitting. I focused on my life goals, the things I really wanted to do.I also did spiritual work and I get that it's really hard to focus on anything when you're depressed but it really opened my whole perspective on who I am and my value (beyond my physical body)

B

BFG

Hello. What kind of spiritual work did you do?