• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How to make psychiatrist think you're well

V

vimes

Hi guy's
For a variety of reasons I have been referred to a pdoc. I don't want to talk to a pdoc I'm fine and well and all that. The thing is he wants regular meetings and I don't. He wants me on meds and I dont.
He is very pleasant about it, collaborative, gentle and all that. I just don't want his attentions.
So how do I convince him that I'm fine?

I can't walk out as it is connected to my work, it's complicated....

Please help me become uninteresting to a pdoc.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Primarily is presenting speech & behaviour - all 'he' has to go on is his subjective interpretations of what is being presented - so present as there being no problem.

Secondly is that they do love a bit of reverse psychology, which is a slightly harder game - Say you have certain psychological, emotional & life difficulties, but you are coping & dealing with them, you understand what the difficulties are, & you are doing things to address it all. Speak in their language.

This is of course based, in part, on how well & good your functioning actually is - & an ability to 'present' things in the way you want to, regardless of actual psychological/emotional state.

T

Trainur

Counter intuitive: don't let them know how much you don't want them. They just see it as you having diffiiculties. Perhaps suggest it once in a minor way and see what the answer is but don't let them know how much you don't like it. Everything you find bad is simply a symptom of your own problems is how they think because their job trains them to think that way perhaps. Still have your goal 100% getting rid off it ie them, the person.

Last edited:
V

vimes

I think he might be in league with my work and helping my managers getting rid of me the easy way.
He has already popped the question/statement that I'm in the "wrong profession".

Kerome

Kerome

Act normal. Stonewalling and sending out I-am-uncomfortable signals will just trigger a prolonged session of digging. So I would try to be open, slightly chatty, mix in a bit of small talk, perhaps make a joke or two.

Don't avoid talking about your problems, but talk about small problems you don't mind them knowing about. Things like money problems, perhaps small spats within the family, minor depression relating to lack of opportunities in life, that kind of thing.

Also they love hearing you're having a decent sex life for instance, it's a sign of psychological good health. I wouldn't broach the subject immediately, but you can make a joke about it when you're feeling good.

V

vimes

I met the pdoc. He shouted at me to turn down the paranoia,that it was excessive. The conversation deteriorated from then on. He insists on me taking meds. I can't take them.

SarahD

SarahD

Can you accept the prescription and pretend to take them?

Kerome

Kerome

How about negotiating with him a limited time to take the meds? You could propose to take them for six months, with the provisional intention to stop after that, after reviewing how you feel, side effects and so on.

V

vimes

It is fucked up, I'm not going to comply with him now. I'm perfectly healthy, I don't need meds.
I'm not going to take meds I don't need or pretend to take them.:evil:
He is an adult he needs to face the facts of life :naughty:

Last edited:
V

vimes

He was calmer this time around, seemed to actually want to help. I don't trust him though. He relabelled me and wants to discuss meds again next time.....
Apparently I'm not fine. But I feel fine. I'm stressed that's all. This scares me.

T

Trainur

The worst thing is that they don't seem to give you the dignity to explain the reasons they think you're ill ... because they look at you as ill.

Kerome

Kerome

He was calmer this time around, seemed to actually want to help. I don't trust him though. He relabelled me and wants to discuss meds again next time.....
Apparently I'm not fine. But I feel fine. I'm stressed that's all. This scares me.
That sounds like progress, at least he is not shouting anymore. If you're happy that your fine I don't see why you should take drugs, as long as you're not being a public nuisance or similar.

V

vimes

The worst thing is that they don't seem to give you the dignity to explain the reasons they think you're ill ... because they look at you as ill.
yes well that's what they call "lack of insight". :)
Considering that they have me down as someone who would lack insight they don't really have a problem with that.