• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How to make partner understand?

K

Kat667

My husband cannot accept I'm bi-polar. He says it's normal ups and downs, that everyone has off days bad times and hates their job etc.
I have been same since I was a teenager and only just recently got diagnosed (at 35), which was a relief and distressing at same time.
He won't come to doc with me, thinks I should 'pull myself together' yet I feel like walking out into the night with nothing.
Has anyone else had same problem? If so, how do I get through to him?:confused:

B

bluebell24

Hi Kat,

I had the same problem, then a therapist loaned me a copy of this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/275-2521802-4459405?a=1593856083

My husband soon realised I was serious and accepted what was wrong; also put an end to being told to 'snap out if it' and he's become a good support!

I hope you find a way to get through to him, I know how hard it is, especially when you're on the receiving end of unhelpful suggestions.

Let me know how you get on.

Bluebell x

jax

jax

I don't have a partner - so I can't give you advice there. Has your partner seen you high? If so - what does he put that down to? I know that once my family saw me high - they knew I was Bipolar or at least that there was something seriously wrong. My whole personality changed and was very evident.
Jacqui x

K

Kat667

Hi, thanks for messages. I'll look up that book and see if it may help. One of my colleagues noticed because his ex-wife was bi-polar, he goes out of his way to be nice (bless him) and he probably has had more shit in his life than i have ever had to deal with.
My husband just thinks I am difficult, childish and hard to get on with. He has seen me on a high and thought I was organised to the point of organising wedding in one month, a bit talkative and shouldn't drink cos it made me hyper, oh, and I like to dance when I;m hyper, doesn't go down well.

My family know I'm on a high when I make grand schemes and then can't remember what I've said two months or more later.. I did an HND in photography and was convinced I could open a studio in a vacant shop. OK if you have money etc to put into it I had no money and two kids under 5. No way was it ever going to happen, I left my parents' house in a fury when they challenged me. Feel embarrassed now!

Last edited: