• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How to make friends and scare people away

R

Rob27

So as the title suggests how do I make new friends and not scare them away? lol

I think the main thing is how do I start a conversation with someone? All the friends I've got is with people I have met through work or school.

I've always got on better with woman then I have men. When I talk to women I always worry that they think I'm trying to chat them up and then I get all flustered and mess up what I'm trying to say, It's worse when I'm trying to chat up women lol. When trying to talk to men I struggle because I do share many interests I don't like football or watching any sport to be honest, I'm not a manly man at all. Maybe I could try carrying a tool box and putting less bubbles in my baths lol.

So I was wondering if people may have some advice and maybe a fail story we could have a giggle lol.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Well try not to think about whether a woman think your trying to chat them up, unless you really are trying to do that? You'll get that with both sexes, that someone from the opposite sex talks to a member of the opposite sex and they presume you might be chatting them up.
I don't understand why some people don't think men and women can't be friends?:confused: That kinda of thinking is flawed in my own opinion.

Anyways, if you truly do feel more comfortable around women, then so be it :)

As for making new friends, well I think I'm now good at making friends. It just requires you to be yourself and engage with others. I know it's easier said then done but your gonna get times where people don't want to be friend's which is totally fine. And you will get times/meet people who want to be friends. You have to persevere.

R

Rob27

Thank you for your reply I agree with you say guys and girls cant be friends most of my friends are women so there poof :D. I'll keep trying :D

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Thank you for your reply I agree with you say guys and girls cant be friends most of my friends are women so there poof :D. I'll keep trying :D
I'm happy for you that you will keep trying. Don't give up ok?
And your right, men and women can be friend's and have been friend's since the beginning of humanity, lol. I tend to think that the people who say men and women can't be friend's are also the same people who believe in the strong surviving and the weak perishing. They also believe that men shouldn't cry and women should be home-makers.
To me, everyone is entitled to their opinions, so I accept that opinion because it's from other people but i do not in anyways agree with it. Also by having that kinda world view, it can be dangerous and oppressive.