• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How to live with mayor/severe/clinical depression without losing hope :(

C

childofkali

Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone is living with mayor/severe/clinical depression, that includes psychic pain and physical pain, and how you manage to cope and not lose hope? I've survived a year now with this, but don't see the end of the tunnel, i.e. my feelings won't change and the pain is just constantly there...I'm too old to be living at home, but I do, and if it weren't for my mom, I don't think I'd push through. I'm terrified...and just don't know how long I can bare this state...

Catty5

Catty5

Hello
I can relate .... and I feel you
I’ve also been suffering really horrible depression for 2 years. Not getting worse but not getting better quickly. Brain recovery is extremely slow even on meds. No other choice but being patient 😰

B

beebumble37

Hey
You're definitely not alone. I've been suffering for a long time and sometimes I feel myself getting worse, and then I'll have a spike where I feel like I could be getting better... until the next time I feel low again.

C

childofkali

Hello
I can relate .... and I feel you
I’ve also been suffering really horrible depression for 2 years. Not getting worse but not getting better quickly. Brain recovery is extremely slow even on meds. No other choice but being patient 😰
Hi Catty5, thank you for your reply...How do you cope? What are your symptoms? I mean, what do you feel like, day in day out? I just don't know if I can bare this much longer. What's the point to continue living with such interminable suffering...?

C

childofkali

Hey
You're definitely not alone. I've been suffering for a long time and sometimes I feel myself getting worse, and then I'll have a spike where I feel like I could be getting better... until the next time I feel low again.
Hi there Beebumble37,
Thank you for your reply...How do you manage to cope? How long have you been depressed? Thing is, there are really different grades of depression.
I've never been THIS bad...I mean, withtout the meds, I wouldn't be able to even get outof bed due to the pain/intrusive thoughts/guilt, etc. As I said, I'm not sure I want to continue given that this state just won't go away. I'm tired of the suffering.... It feels totally isolating and hopeless.

Catty5

Catty5

Hi Catty5, thank you for your reply...How do you cope? What are your symptoms? I mean, what do you feel like, day in day out? I just don't know if I can bare this much longer. What's the point to continue living with such interminable suffering...?
Hello

I often feel the same as you feel. You’re not alone. It’s awfully hard to live like this. My brain isn’t working ok so i’m no longer myself as I used to be. My shoulder and arms are hurting. I don’t know how i’m coping. I list go through days with my 2 cats while thinking about my work that I love to death. Meditation, breathing or mindfulness things don’t work for me ( I myself is the off work mental health care professional) I’ve been on Prozac for 4 months. How are you coping? Are you on any med?

C

childofkali

Hello

I often feel the same as you feel. You’re not alone. It’s awfully hard to live like this. My brain isn’t working ok so i’m no longer myself as I used to be. My shoulder and arms are hurting. I don’t know how i’m coping. I list go through days with my 2 cats while thinking about my work that I love to death. Meditation, breathing or mindfulness things don’t work for me ( I myself is the off work mental health care professional) I’ve been on Prozac for 4 months. How are you coping? Are you on any med?
Hi Catty,

What is your work/job? It's super important to still feel love, especially for your work...
I'm on Pristiq. It helps relieve the pain a bit.
How did your depression start? What did you mean when you said, "I myself is the off work mental health care professional"?

Catty5

Catty5

I’m a doc in a mental health care field .... off work due to this horrible relapse od depression. So sad. It started when I quit Lexapro. It messed up my brain neurotransmission.
But my mood is no longer so low and anxiety is less but my messed up brain function needs time to recover. I’m not familiar with Pristiq but it sounds good the med is working for you.

C

childofkali

I’m a doc in a mental health care field .... off work due to this horrible relapse od depression. So sad. It started when I quit Lexapro. It messed up my brain neurotransmission.
But my mood is no longer so low and anxiety is less but my messed up brain function needs time to recover. I’m not familiar with Pristiq but it sounds good the med is working for you.
I'm so sorry to hear you're off work because of the relapse..I hope your workfield is understanding though?
Yeah, Pristiq is one of the newer antidepressants...it's a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. But why did you have to take Lexapro to begin with?

Catty5

Catty5

I'm so sorry to hear you're off work because of the relapse..I hope your workfield is understanding though?
Yeah, Pristiq is one of the newer antidepressants...it's a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. But why did you have to take Lexapro to begin with?
I had a minor depression with a dissociative episode when I was in a graduate school. I never liked Lexapro.
I’m in the US. Pristiq isn’t a popular med here. Sertraline (Zoloft) seems the popular one here but I insisted to be on Prozac this time. I know meds

C

childofkali

W
I had a minor depression with a dissociative episode when I was in a graduate school. I never liked Lexapro.
I’m in the US. Pristiq isn’t a popular med here. Sertraline (Zoloft) seems the popular one here but I insisted to be on Prozac this time. I know meds
Wow, sounds like you've been on meds for a while then. Do you get any side effects?
I personally hate taking this medication, but without it, I wouldn't even be able to get out of bed...sigh...

Catty5

Catty5

W

Wow, sounds like you've been on meds for a while then. Do you get any side effects?
I personally hate taking this medication, but without it, I wouldn't even be able to get out of bed...sigh...
I agree. it’s true...I don’t want to take it. But I was born with depressive and anxious genes. No other choice. Without it, my dumb? brain doesn’t function.
Antidepressant causes initial uncomfortable side effects till your brain receptors adjust into it. But those things will be gone eventually.

C

childofkali

I agree. it’s true...I don’t want to take it. But I was born with depressive and anxious genes. No other choice. Without it, my dumb? brain doesn’t function.
Antidepressant causes initial uncomfortable side effects till your brain receptors adjust into it. But those things will be gone eventually.
Hm...I think I was born with those genes as well. But I do believe one has the chance to change them in one's lifetime, if one is aware and practices. I myself, missed a big opportunity for change, and get out of this cycle of depressions, but my fear took over and now I'm in this painful slump.

Catty5

Catty5

True... I changed my life to go back to school to be a professional. It took a long time because of my depression (anxiety isn’t a serious issue) but I never gave up. We have many chances in our lives. I’m older...I know it. Please don’t lose a hope.

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
I too have my good and bad moments. It can be really difficult. Are you on any medication? Anti-depressants have their side effects an aren't perfect but they really can help.