• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How to impress my fiancé’s family abroad? Help me out!

M

malcolm403

Through an international online dating site called LoveMe, I was able to meet my fiancée who is from Ukraine. I feel like the luckiest man in the world for being able to find an amazing woman like her. The only problem is that her family isn’t really fond of me because of the fact that their daughter is marrying someone from the other side of the world.

Since our relationship is long distance, seeing each other in person is seriously limited. During the course of our 3-year online relationship, we’ve seen each other in real life for only about 4 times but that has never made things between us complicated. We learned to adapt and adjust with each other despite the distance and conflicting schedules. Here we are now, engaged and happy ready to begin the next chapter of our lives together. The only issue that remains is warming up to her family and have their blessings.

I’ll be visiting my girlfriend in Ukraine in a few weeks for me to bond with her family more. During my stay there, I would have to impress them somehow for them to bless our upcoming marriage. I’m really not good at these kinds of things so I’m incredibly nervous. Just thinking about spending time with my girlfriend’s family is making me nervous because I really want them to like me.

I am confident that no other man will be able to love their daughter as much as I do and I want them to see that. I’m completely certain that I will treat my fiancée with all the love and respect she deserves and I will make it my mission to always make her happy. But to do all that, I have to get the approval of her family and for them to trust me.

To her, family is very important and I want to be close to them for all of us to be close. Any advice and tips will be a huge help. Suggestions are most certainly welcome! Please guys help me out here! Thanks so much!

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Dear Malcolm, Welcome to the Forum. :welcome:

You don't really want to "impress" them as much as you want to Endear them to you. You can endear them to you by being a very good listener. Listen to them with empathy. Let them know you care about their concerns. If you are very caring and loving towards them, you have put your best foot forward and that's all anyone can ask of you.

Cacucu

Cacucu

My nan is Ukrainian and shes very old school. So hard to tell if dont know the people , but I would think they might be still pretty old school. Man is the strong one and has to be able to look after woman . If your vegetarian , they will never love you :DDDDD . food is important, have to have a good appetite also leaving food on a plate specially if her mum cooked it is offensive . Depends on family, with my uncle you must be able to keep up 100 gram vodka shots all night , with food on the table all night .( he only drinks when occasion xmas , nye). Hard to tell if dont know the people , but food is important and presents for family. But just be yourself and sure they will love you when they see how much you love their daughter. My nan have always regretted leaving Ukraine and her family to get married and move aboard. Family is very important to them and they will have to be able to see them often . Thats just what I can tell based on my nan and whats important to her. So cant refuse food, always finish whats on the plate , no leftovers. Decent women dont really drink, but men are allowed and praised.No smoking or your a bad person. Quite religious. Might go church on Sundays etc. I cant imagine parents really to be happy if she moves away from them. They will come visit alot. Mum will move in with you guys :D .