• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How to help my partner with (existential) OCD?

S

saturniansoul

Hello!
My partner just told me he has existential ocd/reassurance ocd and contamination ocd, i've gone through several podcasts and articles about this but I wonder if anyone else also deals with the same problem? and what would they require from their partner? Like is there something I can do to support him? (ofc this differs from person to person, I asked him what I can do to help and he said "just be yourself :)" but I feel unequipped! especially when his compulsions come up, theyre kind of like "I need to come up with a plan to figure out why this happened" or "I need to wash my hands". ) What are some affirmations I could say to calm him down when this happens? What would be some do's and don'ts? This is such a vague and a silly question but I just want to let him know he has someone who understands!

I'm thinking about what gifts to give him for chrismtas now, and i wanted to make a diy scratch card just for fun, but now I'm wondering whether that could trigger him because the scratch card can make a mess! Am I freaking out over this? I feel like I'm going over the top but I want to be extremely mindful thats all :(

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I think the best person to ask would be him. I don't have OCD so i'm sorry i cannot help, but i agree that you should be yourself.

With my illness, i do like acknowledgement occasionally, when i seem unwell to someone else, but also i need to live a normal life and forget about it for long periods of time. I know it is there, but i want to have a normal life and normal conversations about normal things.

I would let him tell you when a line has been crossed that he cannot cope with.

Presents you could also ask his family for suggestions.

S

saturniansoul

I think the best person to ask would be him. I don't have OCD so i'm sorry i cannot help, but i agree that you should be yourself.

With my illness, i do like acknowledgement occasionally, when i seem unwell to someone else, but also i need to live a normal life and forget about it for long periods of time. I know it is there, but i want to have a normal life and normal conversations about normal things.

I would let him tell you when a line has been crossed that he cannot cope with.

Presents you could also ask his family for suggestions.
Ah okay okay, perfect, thank you so much for responding to this :) appreciate you!