How to help a friend?

A

amamam42

Hi all,
I'm new here, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section.

I would like to ask for advice. I have a good friend whom I suspect to be a suffering schizophrenic. I met him when I first moved to LA. I ended up living with him for a few weeks and right off the bat he seemed a bit odd. For example, I would wake up at 4 am in the morning to him pacing around talking to someone on the phone making absolutely no sense. Things really caught my attention when I visited him a few days ago.

I haven't talked to him in a few months and it seems like his oddities are now exacerbated. His apartment was a complete mess when I walked in: dirty dishes, dirty clothes were everywhere. He himself seemed like he hadn't taken a shower in a while. His speech was not coherent and made no sense. In the past, I could maintain a decent conversation with him, but now we exchanged one or two phrases to each other and switched topics. He said odd things like "man, you won't believe this, I found the greatest genre, it's going to be huge!" (we're both musicians) or "everything is perfect, you don't need to change anything."

He seems like he's seeing a psychiatrist but is not receptive about treatment or recognizing he has a condition. It was hard to make sense of the details but it appears like his psychiatrist is trying to work something out with him but my friend is not receptive to treatment.

I want to help him but have no idea how. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Last edited:
BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Hi

its really nice that you care, but that may be all you can do.

People are Allowed to live as they want, whether we deem it Crazy or not, unhealthy or not.

I have a niece who I thought I could get committed and was met with this answer. No you cant because shes Entitled To Kill Herself Slowly If She Chooses.

:(

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.

C

Coast2

When I was poorly and suffering from paranoid delusions my friend wrote to my Dr with her concerns.

At the time I was convinced my phone was bugged, Drs at work (i work in a hospital) were hacking into my phones and breaking into my house to set up cameras to spy on me.

She told my GP all this and a referral was made to mental health services who came and interviewed me. I was later sectioned for three weeks, placed on antipsychotic medication and given counselling.

The pyschosis has gone now, but without my friend's intervention I expect I would have got much worse.

You could ask your friend the name and address of his Dr and write to them with your concerns. Psychosis and schizophrenia are very often diagnosed on the back of statements from family and friends. These accounts are important because the mental illness would not be known about were it not for intervention from family and friends.

It is doubtful that your friend knows he is ill and he probably isn't telling his Doctor what he is experiencing.

Best wishes

A

amamam42

Thank you for your replies. Coast2, I will try to get his doctor's contact info. I'll need to make some excuse for it because he is very defensive about having anything wrong with him. I don't want to flat out say my opinions to him because I'm afraid he'll just shut me out. And I have a feeling I'm one of only a few people he has around him.

Thanks again