• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How to handle great sensibility to sounds?

W

wonke29

Hello,

How can I be stronger emotionally? How can I escape from those strong fears that, to put it simply, they block me.

What can I do when I hear strong sounds (from outdoor, or from the neighbours - I am living in apartment buildings), so that I am not so afraid, so afraid that I "paralize" or feel "shocks" în the legs because of the fear?

What to do to not interpret people who talk to one another like they talk to or about me? I perceive them as they would be addressing to me or as they would laugh of me, even though they just talk to each other.

Thank you.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

I have a lot of the same symptoms, one way is to use your logic and reason to challenge the thoughts what is the likelihood of random strangers talking about you and what is so important about you that this would occur. After a while you see it as a symptom of illness and relax again rapidly when it occurs.

W

wonke29

this would occur. After a while you see it as a symptom of illness and relax again rapidly when it occurs.
Sometimes when a shock from the next floor comes to my body, my eyes move to something (from my last focused point to other point then to other point that is very close to the last point, like on the same piece of paper), and sometimes then come the shocks of confirmation that "they" wanted to catch my attention on something.

I sometimes feel like I am in the center of the Universe, not because I want this, but because the hallucinations (auditory and visual) give me the impression that everybody is watching me, the voices being real people watching me on some sort of futuristic TV. I have had religious paranoia in the past, the Internet helps me a lot but it sometimes gives me the same sensation that "they" make it all for me. Like I am looking into a virtual mirror - this is not a problem, since I got used to it and try to think nice of everyone. But what I really hate are the bad voices and the "shocks" (they do not even come with a lesson so that I could stand under some authority).

In the last days I started to think like this: the voices... maybe death would teach them the lessons better than me... I do not care about them anymore... I cannot take care of myself anyway! (In the last years these voices gave me the impression that they are in some sort of hell and they cannot even express their pains.) As a little joke, I would postpone the voices until I am rich and then I would manage them well.

It is like in some books I have read in the past... I feel I do not have healthy discernment.

I will try your method anyway. Thank you. :)

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@wonke29, The sense of self makes everything about itself even in people without psychotic disorders. In the unhealthy mind this and the brains tendency to see patterns in things have become damaged.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@wonke29, I see my brain doing it all the time and I know it isn't real but watching it doing it all the time does get stressful.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Another thing that has helped me is cultivating some detachment and passive observation of my thoughts through meditation but I wouldn't recommend that unless you have had some success with medication seriously reducing the psychotic symptoms as it could make them worse, but it allows me to watch my mind trying to read hidden meaning into random events.

W

wonke29

Another thing that has helped me is cultivating some detachment and passive observation of my thoughts through meditation but I wouldn't recommend that unless you have had some success with medication seriously reducing the psychotic symptoms as it could make them worse, but it allows me to watch my mind trying to read hidden meaning into random events.
I tried, I think, meditating about once in 1-2 days for a week or two. I tried meditation but the relief of relaxed conscious body and mind was covered by increasing volume of the voices that were disturbed by the pain in the body when I would have wanted to continue my day.

I am glad I have whom to talk to. Thank you.