• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How to go about schizophrenic symptoms?

Hello, This is my first post here so please excuse any errors i make. I would like to start by saying I had quite a few "traumatic" experiences as a kid and I would like to blame that for the issues I am experiencing now. For about a year now I have been hallucinating and seeing terrorifying and indescribable things that only show up well in dark rooms or when I close my eyes. I sometimes hear whispering and whistling, and when I lay in bed at night trying to sleep I hear things like car horns, gun shots, screaming, doors slamming, and sometimes a strange sound that sounds something like an airplane but much louder. The things I hear are not real but sound very realistic for the split second that it happens, for instance, when I hear the car horn its realistically loud like its right in front of my face, same with the popping sounds or gun shots. The things I see seem to change along with the sounds as well, like whenever I hear whispers I start to see a large amount of eyes all over my room looking at me and shifting colors. I also struggle with what I believe to be insomnia and everything together creates a sadness or depressed feeling. No one around me likes the way I am sleeping all day and staying up all night but it seems I cant control it. I refuse to go to the doctor about these issues because I am afraid I will be labeled a dangerous or mentally unstable person. My dream job is to get an FFL and start my own business selling firearms, I dont want a label to prevent me from following my dream because I am not dangerous in any way and im afraid that the doctor might mess that up for me. Another reason I do not want to go to the doctor is because ive read about them doing drug and alcohol tests before diagnosing you and treating your problems. Weed is one of the only things that actually helps me through my sleeping problem and I do not want to give that up. (Its not legal in my state). So my question is, how has the doctor helped you? Do you have similar issues? Should I just give myself time before seeing a doctor? What can the doctors actually do to help this? Thank you for your time!

L

linus

Hi,
It doesn’t sound like psychosis type of symptoms, maybe some powerful anxiety triggered in certain moments? I had such experiences for a brief time when I was very young (6-7 years old). Maybe a doctor can help you with some meds for anxiety (ssri) and you’d feel better on the long term.

Hi,
It doesn’t sound like psychosis type of symptoms, maybe some powerful anxiety triggered in certain moments? I had such experiences for a brief time when I was very young (6-7 years old). Maybe a doctor can help you with some meds for anxiety (ssri) and you’d feel better on the long term.
Somebody else told me the same thing, I didnt really know anxiety could cause what im seeing and hearing. There is never really a certain moment that it happens its just every single day all day long. I have tried many different ssri drugs and they all seemed to do the same thing to me, make me sick, cant eat, fever, and the hallucinations get so much worse while im on them. A part I left out is that sometimes when someone makes me mad I start to feel very jumpy like I cant sit still, my eyes wont focus on anything, and no matter how hard I try I cannot speak to anyone. This is really the only time I hear the whisper sounds, like a hissing sound that gets so intense I cannot hear anything else. The only way I found to fix this is to spend time alone and sleep it off. Im really unconfortable talking about all this and I could never bring myself to do it in person. I think I should include that all of the SSRI medications I habe taken did not belong to me but I did follow the instructions on the bottle.

L

linus

With ssri you can’t just play around, it takes time to build up and even adjust to the target dose and then it’s important how to taper off. The brain readjusts the serotonin receptors after such intrusion in about 1 month.

With ssri you can’t just play around, it takes time to build up and even adjust to the target dose and then it’s important how to taper off. The brain readjusts the serotonin receptors after such intrusion in about 1 month.
Oh yes I know this, I did not do them for a month straight, I did 20 days on prozac after reading that it took 2 weeks for the drug to actually work and I felt worse then I ever have before...