How to get to Sleep

shaky

shaky

Shuffle your thoughts and sleep | Oliver Burkeman | Life and style | The Guardian

If you have been losing sleep recently ... I have good news. With fortuitous timing, the Canadian cognitive scientist Luc Beaudoin has invented a new cure for insomnia, which he calls the “cognitive shuffle”. Essentially, it’s a method for deliberately scrambling your thoughts, so they make no sense.
The cognitive shuffle involves mentally picturing a random sequence of objects for a few seconds each: a cow; a microphone; a loaf of bread, and so on. It’s important to ensure the sequence is truly meaningless, otherwise you’ll drift back into rumination. One option is Beaudoin’s app, MySleepButton, which speaks the names of items in your ear. Another is simply to pick a word, such as “bedtime”, then picture as many items beginning with “b” as you can, then “e”, then “d”, then… Well, by then, if my experience is anything to go by, you’ll be asleep.
[more in the article]

Kerome

Kerome

That's a really good idea, I will try that the next time I have a bout of sleeplessness, there's bound to be a YouTube video for this technique. Great find shaky, thanks a lot!

Kerome

Kerome

I had a go with this last night when I was a bit sleepless in the middle of the night and it worked a treat, I was nodding off within seconds. The only trouble was the only video I could find of random words used quite a strident voice, and after a while she would wake me up again! So when I started to nod I turned it off and hey presto I was asleep in minutes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
worriedDAD Self Help and Mental Health 6