• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How to get help?

A

Akat81

Can anyone advise me on how to get someone to listen? I SH every day and spend all my time researching how to kill myself. I've tried to get help but I'm losing hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wiseowl

Wiseowl

Hi Akat81

What country do you live in? It would just help me find appropriate help and support. :hug1:

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hold on honey. You have come on here, so you are hoping for support. We can give that to you, and I hope you can listen and more importantly, talk to us about how you have got to this point in your life. You can find a way through. I have been suicidal and in profound depressions in my life, and I really know how terrible it can feel.

But, I also know how warm and kind people can be. As Wiseowl says, if you come from anywhere other than Britain, there will be a time difference, and so fewer people on the forum at this time of night. Please don't give up and just talk to us. :hug5:

A

Akat81

I've been in and out of the mental health service for years, I've never once had a diagnosis. Last time I went to my gp about this was in April, he referred me to a psychiatrist who I've seen twice. He says I have to wait for a talking therapy appointment, that was in September and I've heard nothing. I've lost all my friends because I'm an awful person, I snap at them, I get needy and a cry all the time. Everyone at work calls me a nutter and I can't cope anymore

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

Hi Akat81

Thanks for your reply.

My first suggestion would be to contact the charity Mind in the morning and your local branch should have information on charity support services in your area (not just from Mind but from other providers as well). This could be anything from support groups to talking therapy, it all depends on what is available where you live.

Helplines | Mind, the mental health charity - help for mental health problems

If you feel you need urgent one-to-one support for suicidal thoughts and/or feelings then you can contact the Samaritans.

Samaritans | Samaritans

If you are under 35 PAPYRUS run a helpline for supporting those feeling suicidal, you can also email them.

https://www.papyrus-uk.org/help-advice/about-hopelineuk

If you are male CALM offer a helpline aimed at preventing male suicide.

https://www.thecalmzone.net/help/get-help/

If you are feeling in crisis you can always contact your local crisis mental health team, an out of hours doctor or go to A&E.

You are certainly not alone in experiencing suicidal thoughts and engaging in SH, many members of this forum have had or are having similar experiences. :hug1:

A

Akat81

I'm scared to contact these people, last time I did the police turned up at my house and made me go to hospital. I was put in a room for 9 hours unable to leave until a doctor saw me... She said I was fine and I was told to go. No one takes me seriously. I've lost all hope that anyone will help. I thought I was managing then I fell out with my best friend who won't talk to me, in fact he's blocked any way of me even communicating with him. I feel so alone and I don't really see the point in trying anymore. Everyone hates me but no more than I hate myself.

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

I am sorry to hear that you have been left without support.

Many national NHS mental health services are under funded, overloaded and have long waiting lists.

I would try and make another doctors appointment (either with the same doctor, or someone new), so you can check up on the progress of your referral and reiterate how much need you are in. :hug1:

You can also try different routes to access support such as charities or private therapy or counselling if you can afford it.

No one should have to experience such judgement and misunderstanding at work. Have you got a line manager, someone from human resources or a union rep you can talk to?

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

I see why you would feel engaging with crisis services is an issue.

I do suggest talking to Mind, because they can let you know of help, that might be of great benefit to you. :hug1:

A

Akat81

They told me to just ignore it but it hurts. It makes me cry and just adds to what they think. It's affecting my job so my bosses patience is wearing thin. I can't afford private therapy.

A

Akat81

Thank you for listening. I guess my main problem is trying to find something in my life yo want to live for.

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

Do you have any pets or people who you care deeply for and want to be there to spend time with? Or, if you could do anything with your life, something you have always wanted to give a go? :hug1:

A

Akat81

I've unfortunately pushed my friends away. No one wants to know. As I mentioned last week my best friend cut all contact with me. I miss him so much and I'm devastated by this. I only go out for work and then I stay at home because I'm too nervous to go out alone. I feel stuck in my head. I can't sleep. I can't eat and I feel so uncomfortable in my own skin. I pace around my house all the time and sometimes I can't breathe I'm so wound up. I dread going to work and I dread going home because I'm stuck with me wherever I am

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

I used to feel something similar and what worked for me was attending a mental health support group once a week, because I met new people who had some understanding of mental health issues (so no explanations for any of my quirks needed) and people gave that empathy and encouragement I needed.

A

Akat81

Thank you for listening and your time. I've realised I have nothing to get better for. No one will ever like me.