How to get comfortable in unfamiliar situations or places?

B

BlueDev

I'm trying to get out of the house more but I find myself going to familiar places rather than trying something new. I want to meet new people and try something new but the anxiety and fear kicks in even when I think about what I'm about to do or where I'm about to go.

How do I do it? How do I handle it if I might want to go to a new place I never been to before without freaking out then backing out of it at the last minute? I can't figure out why I'm so nervous. It's just a place! They're just people! I can't figure out how to stop being nervous. I keep backing out before I'm in a new, unfamiliar situation or place.

I'm not sure if I even have agoraphobia but I might. I fear that once I'm out and at someplace unfamiliar, I'm stuck and don't know what to do in a situation or my phone won't work if I need to call someone although I don't have those severe symptoms like short of breath, sweating, dizziness etc.. I just worry so much about it and avoid the situation. Even without the severe symptoms, is that agoraphobia?

Thanks.

Tixbut

Tixbut

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I have the same issue but its finally getting little easier each time. Some tips that might help. Planning is key! Find out where and with who ahead of time. Also how will you get there. Then work out if you need to leave what will you do. Maybe ask a loved one to come pick you up after a certain amount of time. Write your thoughts down then put a solution to the problems eg- what if my phone dies-solution- i can use someone elses phone or i can ask in a shop to use theirs. Try and start off with new places but with people you trust and make it just for 1 hour. If you are going somewhere by yourself listen to music. This is my go to! Listen to anything that makes you feel good.
This will take time to overcome but make sure you keep doing it as it will get easier each time.
Goodluck! (Sorry for the long post)

OCDguy

OCDguy

Other things to think of, are times of day, and if you don't like a place, you can always turn round and come back...

R

Ramson mash

I think you can naturally get comfortable in pretty much anyplace. You become accustomed to your surroundings and once you are familiar You pretty much own the place. I've dealt with crippling anxiety, but i recovered and when i was ready i had to jump back in the deep end.

F

Fancyharm

Tixbut, I so agree. Planning is the key. I have beaten agoraphobia 28 years ago. I made my best progress by breaking the trip down and doing parts and when I got familiar with one part, I would move onto another. Positive affirmations are great, look some up on the internet. Well done for wanting to try, and praise yourself, you deserve it.

M

Mary26

A few ideas--
Start by going with someone who makes you feel safe. Then next time, bring a photo of that person to calm you.
Play music on your phone that makes you feel empowered during the trip. (Very powerful).
Spend 10 minutes a day doing a body scan (you can find them on you tube). After a while you should be able to connect with the senses and quiet the thoughts.
Do you have a celebrity crush? Imagine you're going to meet them for a date. Would you still feel anxious or would your excitement overpower the anxiety? Think about how powerful our minds are.