• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How to find a Psychiatrist/therapist

R

Rockybottoms

Hello out there,
I am just starting a journey of healing (I Really Hope). I am looking for advise on how to seek out Psychiatric help. Do I just go to the classifieds or get a referral from my G.P / Any advise would be greatly helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Z

Zoe1

hi Rockybottoms :welcome:

gp would be the first port of call
who might prescribe something themselves
or refer you on to a psychiatrist if necessary

its good that you are seeking help
and I also hope you find it helpful here

:grouphug:

U

username884

I don't know how it is where you live but here in the US at least in my state there are really long wait times when you first try to get an appointment with a psychiatrist or psychologist
I would recommend ideally seeing a psychologist first to get diagnosis, they wont give meds but the diagnosis is handy
You could still see a psychiatrist first and they can diagnose you and prescribe medication if you need any but if your case is more complicated sometimes they might refer you to a psychologist to get diagnosis, and they can also hook you up with a shorter wait time for the psychologist they refer you to
I recommend just looking around for psychiatrists in your area, checking reviews and call up to get an idea when you might be able to be seen by different ones, some of them are ridiculously long as in several months
You could still see a gp like zoe said and they might give you something for example if you have anxiety, which could be ideal to at least have some meds if you really need them while you try to get an appointment with a psychiatrist or psychologist
It all depends on your case

But once you are an established patient with a psycholgist or psychiatrist you get to be seen more often, usually once a month for the psychiatrist

R

Rockybottoms

I don't know how it is where you live but here in the US at least in my state there are really long wait times when you first try to get an appointment with a psychiatrist or psychologist
I would recommend ideally seeing a psychologist first to get diagnosis, they wont give meds but the diagnosis is handy
You could still see a psychiatrist first and they can diagnose you and prescribe medication if you need any but if your case is more complicated sometimes they might refer you to a psychologist to get diagnosis, and they can also hook you up with a shorter wait time for the psychologist they refer you to
I recommend just looking around for psychiatrists in your area, checking reviews and call up to get an idea when you might be able to be seen by different ones, some of them are ridiculously long as in several months
You could still see a gp like zoe said and they might give you something for example if you have anxiety, which could be ideal to at least have some meds if you really need them while you try to get an appointment with a psychiatrist or psychologist

But once you are an established patient with a psychologist or psychiatrist you get to be seen more often, usually once a month for the psychiatrist
Thank you for the great advise 884.

R

Rockybottoms

But once you are an established patient with a psycholgist or psychiatrist you get to be seen more often, usually once a month for the psychiatrist
Thanks

M

mike4626

im trying the cerebral app. I talked to someone who can prescibe meds but still waiting on the therapist. My appointment is on the 14th