• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How to feel something again?

Françoise

Françoise

Hello!
The past few months I have been dealing with major anxiety issues. I've had these problems for over 10 years and am only getting better at managing them now.
However, I have noticed that I feel nothing. Before, I would feel only stress and I thought that once stress has disappeared, I would feel happy or at least some kind of other emotion. For example, this weekend my friends came over to my place and we did fun activities but I could not feel any emotions: even though I knew that happiness was the emotion to feel (it was a wonderful day), I could not feel it.

Have you experienced that? Do you have any idea how to get to feel something again?

Thank you :hug1:

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi francoise, with the stress, did you feel any other emotions with it?

D

DavidC

Yes Ive had this when I'm depressed. In my experience anxiety and depression go hand in hand. Ive also experienced it when on some meds that seem to kill off all emotion.
I took Lyrica,pregabalin for anxiety for about six months and I got depressed from it, its listed in common side effects, also benzos like valium that are a god send for severe anxiety can and do cause depression too, its listed in common side effects.
I found a brisk walk/exercise(break out in a sweat) to get endorphins going helps in experiencing positive emotion

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Are you on any medication? Sometimes they can zap the feelings out of you.
I know precisely what you're going through though, because it's something I get a lot.
If you suffer with a lot of anxiety or depression, I do think your brain shuts down to a certain extent and stops you from feeling - because when you do feel, it's too much. (Hope that makes sense).

I'm not entirely sure how to completely get over it, but something that has helped me is to really allow myself to 'go with it' when a feeling does come up.
I think it's really important to give yourself permission to laugh or cry or whatever it is that is moving in you.
Once you're allowing yourself to feel, the feelings do come back - at least in my experience.

Françoise

Françoise

Thank you for your replies! I'm so grateful you gave me all this helpful advice!

Yes, I have been taking some anti-anxiety medication for a while but just when I had panic attacks. Now I try to limit myself to herbal tea and plants because it really feels like my brain is stuck when I take medications. That's why I didn't want to take anti-depressants. That, and the social stigma associated to anti-depressants that I'm not sure I'm ready to live with.

When I have anxiety, usually I have a big mixture of feelings that are all very negative. If I was planning to do anything fun or relaxing, it is automatically ruined as I can't relax. But when I make strong efforts to think positively, I feel so exhausted and empty that I'm wondering where all the feelings have gone to! Even when people I love go through bad stuff, I cannot feel sorry for them. When something difficult or awesome happens to me, I just go past it, as if nothing really mattered.

It's very confusing because I don't know what my character is like any more. I don't know what makes me happy or sad. I've been trying to avoid any situation that could be slightly stressful for so long that I don't know what I need or want or even who I am.

Anyway, thank you so much for your support. It's a relief to know that I'm not alone! Hope you all get better soon :hug1: