• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How to explain to your kids your schizophrenic and disabled

H

Halfempty86

My kids don't understand how I get money and survive. I've been telling them since they were babies mommy is sick she is disabled. My ex has no respect for me he just says I don't work. It's hard trying to explain to your kids you have a family illness that's chronic. Like how do you tell your kids mommy feels like killing herself every other week and has attempted suicide and almost was successful and mommy hears voices and is paranoid all the time. Guess I'll just keep it minimum until they are older almost adults to really explain what I go through on a daily basis just to raise them and how I fought to be here. Anyone else had to explain to kids any of this

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

I have no children, so I have little to offer in the way of advice.

There is a children's book Who's Jerry thats has a mother with schizophrenia in it. I don't know if it would be helpful at all, but at least it puts the topic on the table for discussion with kids.

I wish you luck and much support.

:)

W

WH433

I’m going to take a look at that who’s jerry book. I also found this website copmi.net.au
It has a book in there under resources I downloaded something and printed it out for my daughter and some other resources too. I never had any help with being a parent with this illness, I relapsed and got called schizophrenic by a friend and my daughter heard. When we were at the museum there was a mental health exhibition and she stopped and read the schizophrenia part and said that’s like you mum, so that was how we started talking about it.

Braveheart

Braveheart

My kids don't understand how I get money and survive. I've been telling them since they were babies mommy is sick she is disabled. My ex has no respect for me he just says I don't work. It's hard trying to explain to your kids you have a family illness that's chronic. Like how do you tell your kids mommy feels like killing herself every other week and has attempted suicide and almost was successful and mommy hears voices and is paranoid all the time. Guess I'll just keep it minimum until they are older almost adults to really explain what I go through on a daily basis just to raise them and how I fought to be here. Anyone else had to explain to kids any of this
🤗🤗

M

Misssad1111

Did you know you were schizophrenic when you were pregnant?

C

celticlass

That is a question to OP, not you lol
Oh I fully realise but I think it a rather rude and unnecessary thing to be asking. Obviously you have your reason for asking but it leaves me feeling uncomfortable.