• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

how to explain absence to tutors

S

sarahbelle

hi,

i would like some help on taliking about mental health issues with my tutor at uni.

i suffer with panic attacks, deppression, agrophobia, self harm, insomnia, mania to mention a few symptoms.
as a result of this i am often left unable to go to uni, as this involves getting a bus and being on myown in public.
im currently being diagnosed and am waiting to see a psychotherapist so i cant really put a name on whats wrong with me at presant.

how on earth do i go about explaining things to my teacher when i dont know whats wrong with me?

this is causing alot of stress, and i feel my teacher is losing patience with me.
im losing patience with me!!

scottsblue

scottsblue

Founding Member
you must need to go to pass, your tutors is probably worried about you and not loseing patience.
i wouldnt worry about a tutor if i was feeling that bad.

S

sarahbelle

your probabley right, i spoke to him today, i wouldnt say i was frank with him but i manged to explain a little. he seems very caring and gave me details of the councellors in uni for mental health issues.
i was so embarresed i was shaking and could feel myself getting reder and reder. he was suprised to hear wht i said as he says that i come accross as a very cheery person, perhaps because when im down i hide away!

thanks for your response

scottsblue

scottsblue

Founding Member
atleast your trying to get a quilification after so much moveing around, surprised you have so much energy after moveing so much in a short space of time.

L

littlemisspipedream

My uni has an ALN department which is Additional Learning Needs. When I started uni I saw them and filled out some forms explaining about my mental health problems and provided evidence (in my case a doctors note) that I really did have a problem!
They had an appointment with me when we talked about support I wanted and then they forwarded the details to my tutor and head of department (but it is confidential and they told me who would receive the information).
They also suggested I applied for DSA (Disabled Students Allowance) and I was awarded funding for a laptop, printer, books and mentoring support to help organise me. They also then realised I am severel dyspraxic and also dyslexic something that has never been picked up on before and I get lots of help now.
Look into what your univrsity offers and don't be scared to tell them you have mental health problems. They are more common then you're lead to believe. At the end of the day you pay for university (or if you're lucky your parents do) and you have the right to get the best out of it regardless of your mental health issues.

ps. don't worry about your tutors getting frustrated sometimes they don't understand. my college lecturers used to with me and now I realise it's because they didn't know anything was wrong. they thought I was just another kid who wasn't grateful for the opportunities I had and was apathetic towards my education.

L

littlemisspipedream

Oh and I barely go in. I look at lecture and seminar notes on the intranet (all lectures and slides are documented on it) and use my textbooks to reference. I also get note taking in absence.