• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How to deal with this type of OCD?

D

Darby

Seen how music and the collecting of music is pretty much all I do at the moment in my spare time, it means a lot to me. Music artists, my favourite artists mean a lot to me and I try to avoid looking up on them, i.e. on forums and videos were there's a lot of comments from the public. I do mostly look at them because again, part of my problem is OCD and its just exhausting but I have to look at comments until I find a comment that I want to see, a comment that is respectful to the artist and appreciates the artist like I do. I try my best to ignore these thoughts that attack my perspective on my favourite artists.

Anyway, I was on YouTube and I was looking up rare songs and I see this video which only has around 100 views and 3 dislikes 0 likes, it's just a persons rant but a very negative rant. I know 100 per cent I don't need approval or disapproval from anyone when it comes to me enjoying an artist and also knowing how important and influential and talented that artist is.

Yet my mind plays tricks on me, it leads me to self-doubt and viewing an artist in a whole different perspective because of one persons rude comments or just biased view. I don't want to run away from these comments and the anxiety it causes me, its not even anxiety anymore, its mental pain at how they can impact my ability to enjoy music. Though I will never let them stop me from listening to the music instead I want to learn how to deal with these thoughts I have and letting them go whilst seeing the logic that this person has his opinion and so does everyone. I mean it doesn't bother me if its someone I don't have an attacthment to, its because I really feel passionate about them you see.

Anyway this long post will come to an end, do you have any ideas how I should go about dealing with these thoughts although I've not gotten into too much specifics, the point is how they seem to follow me around for days or even weeks. This might seem trival to most people but my life at the moment, this means a lot, the music that is. This problem is a big problem for me and I don't want to carry on doing rituals in my head to try and combat this particular OCD problem, one of many that I have.

I want to know some advice on how to tackle this particular problem in a healthy way and without fleeing from these comments in future and instead facing them without any mind rituals going on in my mind. Letting them go without them haunting me for some time.

At the end of the day I accept logical opinions but I don't accept negative opinions, negativity that isn't helpful that is hateful. That's what the guys comments were, hateful and coming from a very negative and hate filled view. With no basis for reality yet my mind twists that around and trys to convince me that because I read or listened to that, it's factual. Which of course it isnt.

Can anyone offer any help and advice please?

L

larry

Hey Darby!
Im sorry you are having troubles with this. I think the best way to tackle this type of OCD is to acknowledge the comments when you see them, and simply not to fight back against the thoughts the OCD is putting in your head. Your stress level may go up for that moment, but then it will go down over time as you get used to the thoughts and you realize that they werent as bad as you were making them out to be.
I am going through the same type of problem and trust me its not easy to do. But ultimately I believe this is the best way.
Do others agree with this? I dont want to give bad advice as I am not a psychologist, but this is what my psychologist has taught me.

D

Darby

Hey Darby!
Im sorry you are having troubles with this. I think the best way to tackle this type of OCD is to acknowledge the comments when you see them, and simply not to fight back against the thoughts the OCD is putting in your head. Your stress level may go up for that moment, but then it will go down over time as you get used to the thoughts and you realize that they werent as bad as you were making them out to be.
I am going through the same type of problem and trust me its not easy to do. But ultimately I believe this is the best way.
Do others agree with this? I dont want to give bad advice as I am not a psychologist, but this is what my psychologist has taught me.
It will surely help me get through it at the moment, thanks for the advice. It's difficult to do, that's for sure but I'll keep persisting with it. Thanks again.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I agree with what "Larry" has said, acknowledge that your having these thoughts but after that, do not engage in those thoughts. It's very tough to do and it most likely will increase your anxiety, but then over time that anxiety should shart to decrease. No anxiety can go on forever.

I also another option is to stay away from viewing comments for a while. This in turn will give you a break from all that stuff. There was a time where I would view comments on the yahoo sports website and it had an effect on me.

Another option is to see/talk to a mental health worker and get their opinion and advice also?

D

Darby

It's not the anxiety, I can deal with that aspect of it. It's the possible long term effects of feeling different towards something you love. Thoughts that you don't believe in and know aren't true yet they stick around and try to poison something you are passionate about.