• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How To Deal With Blind Panic?

B

bonobo

Can anyone suggest tips & tricks for moments of blind panic? xx

Gajolene

Gajolene

Do you mean panick attacks in public, or overwhelming anxiety panick from obsessive thinking? I will leave an area that triggers my panick if I can, if I can,t then I find, staying in the moment exercises help. Focusing on one thing and all sensations of that one thing to focus on. For extream flashback panick, distraction such as an elastic band on my wrist, I snap it, therapist suggested something really sour like a lemon slice, helps bring you back to the present and out of sudden paniick. Hope this helps.

B

bonobo

Do you mean panick attacks in public, or overwhelming anxiety panick from obsessive thinking? I will leave an area that triggers my panick if I can, if I can,t then I find, staying in the moment exercises help. Focusing on one thing and all sensations of that one thing to focus on. For extream flashback panick, distraction such as an elastic band on my wrist, I snap it, therapist suggested something really sour like a lemon slice, helps bring you back to the present and out of sudden paniick. Hope this helps.
Both really, although at the time my present state was the second of the two. The lemon slice idea's a good one - I think I'll try to use it! xx

T

TomGhanini

For me, sometimes, it's like an explosion, but I know to not even attempt to do anything about it right away. Just give it a minute or two for things to settle down, for the dust to clear, and then go about trying to work out what to do.

example - Knock on my flat door, Council lady saying flat downstairs was being flooded from above and they wanted to check it wasn't coming from my flat. The "explosion" thing was the flat was a mess, I was a mess and I really didn't want them seeing all this. If it's just me seeing it then that's fine, but for someone else to, well that's a whole new ballgame, would make it all real, to see the disgust and judgment in their eyes, something I'd not be able to get out of my mind.
But the thing was she didn't know I was in and left a note and left. I then worked out I had about 3 hours to make the place, while not all spick 'n span, it would at least be presentable. So I moved a whole bunch of stuff into the spare room, covered over areas with tea-towels, removed a bulb in the hallway, and opened the curtains in the main room (it being light outside but a dull light so you couldn't see things in great detail inside).
The inspection was a short one, a "my pipes were fine" one, and as I was wearing my clear-glass spectacles I didn't see and thus don't remember any of their reactions to the state of the place.

R

Rose19602

Sorry to but in....but Welcome Tom!

You can post an introductory message in the Introductions forum if you like....that way more people will know that you're a new member.

take care and sorry for the intrusion on your post Bonobo.
x

Gajolene

Gajolene

I also use stop thought exercises for panick brought on by obsessive thinking, worrying, I keep background noise going to focus away from my own thoughts, memories. Tv or music I can concentrate on. I can relate with the dirty apartment inspection as well. Something like that works me up into panick easily. Anything that unexpected triggers anxiety and panick. I feel my anxiety keeps me in that state of hypervigelance when I feel my safety threatened in any way, my fight and flight responses get triggered. Ongoing therapy with a qualified therapist has taught me many tools to fall back on as well. In extream conditions I have needed short term medication to cope through traumatic times and relapses.

Last edited:
F

Fruitloop

Noise cancelling head phones and a Norah Jones album if I'm on the move.

The one i use indoors is a binaural ASMR video ( got to use earphone too). The ear to ear ones forces my brain to work out where the sound is coming from, everything else that was on my mind goes out the window. Plenty on Youtube.

T

TomGhanini

I also find music and a good audiobook (I have tonnes of these) as great ways of taking my mind off things I cannot change. Especially (maybe) if I've listened to them a number of times so know what's going to happen. Maybe it is the predictability of things that is comforting, no hidden surprises and all that. A couple of hours lost in someone else's world is a good way of forgetting about my own.

ASDF209

ASDF209

I'm a big fan of guided meditation. There are some really wonderful apps on iTunes. Also, there are some amazing storm simulator apps there too. Both are fantastic.