• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How to deal with anxiety/doom with no cause

W

wpark2419

Any tips for the anxiety that has no cause or known triggers? First let me say I know there’s always an initial cause for anxiety. I have generalized anxiety disorder as well as panic disorder. Like most everyone I’m an over thinker...someone running 5 min late must have crashed their car and is dead, kid has a leg pain it has to be rare cancer etc. Stupid stuff and I know it’s ridiculous but I’m working on it. However, when I know what’s causing anxiety (the overthinking) I can talk myself through it eventually and get back to my rational brain. A big part of my anxiety though is completely unknown. Like I have the sense of impending doom and just feel highly anxious some days but for no reason. So how do I talk myself through it or get back to my rational brain when there’s not even a cause? I’ve woken up in the night feeling overwhelmingly anxious or ill wake up in the morning feeling completely panicked when it’s just an average day.
Everything I find online is geared towards talking yourself through the problem but I can’t find any websites, books etc that say how you’re supposed to help yourself when there’s no cause.
Sorry for the long post...I was terribly anxious last night and it’s worse this morning and I’m just so frustrated.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello wpark and welcome to the forum. If you find you feel anxious without a trigger then maybe you would find an antianxiety medication helpful. They work by taking the edge of anxiety. I would talk to your doctor and ask to try one.