• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How to calm bipolar husband who is manic?

M

Manps

Husband has had a stressful year and takes lamotrigine 100mg but couple of days ago hes gone manic and won't take his medication. He even went to the doctor and got zoplicone but refuses to take it. What do I do hes pushing his family away. Hes driving everywhere, drinking alcohol, very bad mood swings, hyper, 100 different jobs and not finishing them, shopping sprees and not sleeping maybe 2 hours a day. He was diagnosed in 2018 so that's the last time he had a episode. Its draining me and I gave 2 small kids and working while he is stopped going work and spending all his last wages and out all day all night. It lasted 4 months last time I think he stopped taking his medication. I can't even talk to him as worried he going to go crazy at me and il make it worse. I know that's hes not him but it makes me so angry whst he does and says but I have to remember his brain is taken over. Any easy tips on bringing his mania down and how long does it take.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
100mg Lamotrigine, is that all he takes?
The therapeutic dose is 200mg i think, and it is not the best at controlling mania.
He needs to see his psychiatrist urgently. If you do not have that number, you need to call his GP or 111 or 999 depending on how concerned you are.

M

Manps

100mg Lamotrigine, is that all he takes?
The therapeutic dose is 200mg i think, and it is not the best at controlling mania.
He needs to see his psychiatrist urgently. If you do not have that number, you need to call his GP or 111 or 999 depending on how concerned you are.
Its the first time hes taken this and apparently its up to my husband to ask for help as I have already warned his GP and the police are aware as had to report him missing the other day. Its such a hard situation I will try and see it he can go to a safe haven when hes calm. Will sleep help him come down from manic episode? Or will only medication calm him down?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
A good sleep will help for one night only i would think. Adequate medication is the only way i know a hypo/manic episode can end.

K

keith74

From what I understand, Lamotrigine is more for depression. Valproic acid (depakote) is the anticonvulsant med of choice for mania and is good for acute mania. When my wife was recently manic, the hospital used Olanzapine to bring the mania down. It took 4 weeks for it to fully work (though I saw some progress at 2 weeks+).

M

Manps

Thats really helpful thank you. Just need him to see a professional to change his medication.

A

Alora78

I took Zyprexa and it helped me quick. I take Lamictal 300mg but when I get bad I usually have to take an antipsychotic to knock it out.

M

Manps

Yeh he needs a quick fix. Its so hard so see him like
This. Thank you for your advice.

L

LadyDomino

Husband has had a stressful year and takes lamotrigine 100mg but couple of days ago hes gone manic and won't take his medication. He even went to the doctor and got zoplicone but refuses to take it.
Even changing his meds won't make a differfence if he is refusing to take them.

100mg of lamotrigne seems very low - I take 400g a day (plus lithium and other meds)

M

Manps

Yeh I think the person just thought he should have a low dose but now its too late as he has no insight of him being unwell. Thank you.

K

keith74

Yeh he needs a quick fix. Its so hard so see him like
This. Thank you for your advice.
Unfortunately there is no "quick fix". Even if he gets on all the rights meds and takes them consistently, it will take awhile before the mania fully subsides. You need to brace yourself for the long haul. Wish you and your husband the best.

M

Manps

Thank you it took 4 months last time and it was the most stressful time of my life and his when he came out of it. Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it.

HLon99

HLon99

Lamotrigine is a mood stabiliser which is only effective in the depressive phases of bipolar disorder. Contact your psychiatrist and get him to prescribe an antimanic one e.g. Aripiprazole or Lithium. And yeah, as Keith said, there is no quick fix, just support him and urge him to seek help.