• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How to best deal when a person thinks everything she does is wrong?

A

Aurin

So today my mom gave a suggestion about giving temporary shelter to a dog from a shelter(some dog shelters closed here do to covid). I don't think is a good idea because we already have two of them and is not like we have extra space here, also they are kind of hostile against strangers, specially dogs, so I don't think they will react well. My step dad is also against it.

The problem is that my mom do not take rejection very well from us because of somethings that happened in her past, she think everything she does is a mistake and if we don't agree with her, she thinks that we not agreeing with her only confirm what she thinks.
What I said above was just the most recent, but if we don't agree with her, she always thinks that is another mistake she did.

If she also made a choice and something happens that went slightly wrong, same thing happens.

So if I disagree or if I agree and something goes wrong or became too stressful(the most likely scenarios in the recent event), the result is the same. She gets sad because she thinks she made another mistake.

She was felling really depressed these days, and is slightly improving, so I'm being extra careful.

How do you guys think I should better deal if this kind of situation?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
You could ask her a question in stead of telling her what you think. Maybe arrange the discussion so she thinks it was her decision NOT to rescue another dog.

So, i'd love one too, but do you think our dogs would welcome another? I don't know, what do you think?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
wraziel I hope the best for you. Mental Health Experiences 7
L My best friend is bad for me? Mental Health Experiences 7
LORD BURT Do you feel - I can't change, I am doing the best I can Mental Health Experiences 6
B What's the Best advice you have been given (mental health related) Mental Health Experiences 10
Ineedhelp2921 Not sure how to deal with this Mental Health Experiences 3
E How to deal with mentally unstable neighbour Mental Health Experiences 1
Q How to deal with abuse and ridicule Mental Health Experiences 19
B How to deal with my stepdad who is mentally unstable? Mental Health Experiences 1
C How to deal with feeling broken from a lot of different things Mental Health Experiences 1
StrugglingToForget Rejection... how do you deal with not being liked? Mental Health Experiences 3
M how to deal with stress ? Mental Health Experiences 2
Jascha Am I a bad person? Mental Health Experiences 7
E Opinions/Perspectives Wanted on Recent Attempt and Response of Another Person Mental Health Experiences 10
L Highly Sensitive Person Mental Health Experiences 1
H Is it possible for a person unable to work due to mental health to eventually have a successful life and career? Mental Health Experiences 3
D Disability Law Service: No Help For Autistic Person Mental Health Experiences 1
indigoroad I'm literally a terrible person lol Mental Health Experiences 7
R I don’t see the point in being a kind or hardworking person. Mental Health Experiences 14
L Feeling like a crazy person... Mental Health Experiences 21
C Am I bad person? Mental Health Experiences 2
wraziel Integral person Mental Health Experiences 7
jajingna Are you a moody person? Mental Health Experiences 4
L I feel like a terrible person Mental Health Experiences 17
jajingna I've only hated one person in my life Mental Health Experiences 6