• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How to beat lazyness?

the_unmanifest

the_unmanifest

I have always been a little lazy (very little actually) ever since I remember myself having to do things and postponing them. And I'm mostly talking about homework and stuff related to school. It wasn't a great issue because I always caught a lot from class and didn't have to study really hard in order to take good marks. This happened in primary school, then gymnasium (or secondary? I donno the english term) and first years of highschool. Then, something happened, I don't know what, and I became a looot more lazy, maybe it has to do with the fact that I lost motivation on the way (!?).

I was really confused in my last years of highschool because I didn't know what to do next (meaning what university to apply to) and this lead me to a deep blue depression, I thought of myself that I won't become anything in this life because I didn't know my purpose in life. I was still able to study for my school graduation exams and I scored good, but I wasn't studying with enthusiasm at all; and even when I took 2 10's (highest grade) in my oral exams I was feeling something is missing and I wasn't really happy deep inside.

Then 1st year of univ came, then 2nd and I couldn't study almost at all during exam sessions, I was unhappy with the choice I made (the course), but it was good that I wasn't very much depressed but still a little. Now that I am in my 3rd year of univ I realised it is not that bad, these things are actually interesting and also I found masters programs that sound good. But the problem is, I don't have good marks and it's because I don't study and don't struggle to store information in my brain, I simply can't, I donno.

So my question is...did I get used to follow this pattern of being lazy as a cause of unmotivation and now I can't get out of it? Why things stopped motivating me even if I like them in theory?

the_unmanifest

the_unmanifest

Hmm...no reply. So I should conclude there's no one with an opinion about my query :( I expected at least some encouraging, great expectations did I have..

Y

YellowBrickRoad

Try some things to motivate yourself. Clubs, groups, activities that you think you will enjoy. If you have motivation for something you might find you will become motivated to do your routine things like homework.

How about you set yourself a little task with a reward. (hopefully I'm not patronising you :S) Say "Ok I'll do half an hours homework and afterwards I'll treat myself to ......(insert activity you enjoy)" If you have something to look forward to after you've done your hard work then you might find yourself more motivated to do things.

We all have times of lack of motivation but it doesn't mean you are lazy. :)

the_unmanifest

the_unmanifest

How about you set yourself a little task with a reward. (hopefully I'm not patronising you :S) Say "Ok I'll do half an hours homework and afterwards I'll treat myself to ......(insert activity you enjoy)" If you have something to look forward to after you've done your hard work then you might find yourself more motivated to do things. :)
Thanks, YellowBrickRoad :)
That is a good way of motivating, in the past I apllied that and when I still couldn't finish the task, I was blaming myself more, so maybe this kind of made me to stop setting rewards..
But, I'll definitely try to apply this technique, I'm hopeful I won't fail again!