• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How to ask GP for Lorazepam without sounding like I'm drug seeking?

porkpie

porkpie

I have an appointment on Monday with GP and need to get a proscription for Lorazepam because I'm getting quite agitated at little things, I was previously on Lorazepam after leaving hospital and haven't used any in a while. Would it sound like I'm drug seeking just coming out saying I need it?

SarahD

SarahD

I think if you explained that you are getting agitated, and that it helped when you left hospital, it should be ok. Say you need it "just for a while", as they worry that it is addictive.

Often it is easier to get these drugs from a psych. Can you ask your cpn to request some for you? At least if the GP refuses?

Kerome

Kerome

I would avoid the words "need it", that definitely sounds a bit junky like.

But if you say you've used it previously and it helped, then that might be good enough to encourage him to prescribe some more.

J

Jamie29

When I ask my GP for something in particular I write the name of it, the strength and the quantity I want down on a piece of paper and hand this to him/her first of all. Then I explain why I'm asking for them. I've only asked for something specific a few times and it's things I've had before so my reason is simply that I've had it before and it works. Last time was a couple of weeks ago when I asked him for some nutritional supplements. He gave me a prescription but for half the quantity I asked him for.
Do you have a good relationship with your GP?

L

lostminty

Essentially reverse the sentence you posted.

1. I'm not drug seeking (gets that out into the open)
2. I had this in hospital and it helped (shows you pay attention)
3. I want lorazepam (defines what you expect)

Frost

Frost

I don't know, having observed this from the medical side of the fence, waltzing into the consult room and saying the word 'lorazepam' within the first few sentences would throw up a huge red flag for the doctor. I also wonder if volunteering the phrase 'I'm not drug-seeking' comes across a bit like 'the lady doth protest too much'.

If you know your GP well and they're already pretty well-acquainted with your previous anxiety difficulties, then yeah you could probably get away with just saying you're feeling really anxious again, and asking for a repeat of it since you've had it before.

But if you don't know your doctor very well, I'd suggest starting by explaining your entire case well before saying what you want. If you explain your history of anxiety troubles, and that they've come back again, chances are they'll ask you something along the lines of 'Have you been put on anything for this in the past?' anyway. Doctors tend to be fine with re-prescribing something that's worked before, if you're coming in with the same problem.

Idk, I'd just be careful about how you do it. If you get yourself flagged as a drug-seeker, it isn't going to make your life any easier in the future if you need anxiety meds and the likes.

porkpie

porkpie

Well the bitch of a doctor would not proscribe it me saying I need confirmation from the pdoc, she can't do it basically.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I've had this time and time again with diazepam, helps temporarily for me but they just won't prescribe it!
When do you next see your pdoc?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lake Schizophrenia Forum 58