• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How to approach someone about personal issues?

B

becca1995

So after years of personal issues (depression, self harm, eating disorders, anxiety) I have finally decided to approach someone for help. With my final A-level exams approaching, I felt things quickly getting too much and as much as I don't want to, I recognise I need help. This is a big deal for me as I've never reached out before. I approached only supportive teacher I felt I had and she is aware that I want to speak but in my own time. She came up to be again today and I think we have arranged to meet tomorrow morning. I am terrified and have no idea what to say.I am petrified of the idea of getting professional help and I am don't know what will come out of this. I don't know how she is going to react or what to tell her. Also the last thing I want is my parents involved, however as I'm 19 I think this can be avoided. I just need help with letting go and just telling someone.

W

Waverunner

Hi Becca. Welcome to the forum first of all. In relation to your post, you recognise you need help and have taken a step towards getting this. Well done. Given that your teacher knows you have something on your mind, that's a good start. Very simply, you could just start by telling her you are struggling. That will probably lead to her asking you some questions (I find it easier to answer questions than just volunteer information). If you don't think that will work, write some points down tonight and give it to her to read. Again, it's a good starting point. Then just continue to be brave and make sure you meet with her. Hopefully that will be the start of you getting some support. Also, given your age, your wish to keep things confidential should be listened to and accepted (unless you are seen to be a risk to yourself or others)

B

becca1995

Hey, thank you for replying, I'm getting in a bit of a panic thinking about it. I am the worst person for opening up, I've never receive any help and always dealt with things on my own, which sometimes proves not the best method. Im in two minds, I want to sort something out but I also wish i'd just not done anything. I've struggled with issues for so long that I don't even know where to start and I'm not sure how she's going to take it.

B

becca1995

Hi Becca. Welcome to the forum first of all. In relation to your post, you recognise you need help and have taken a step towards getting this. Well done. Given that your teacher knows you have something on your mind, that's a good start. Very simply, you could just start by telling her you are struggling. That will probably lead to her asking you some questions (I find it easier to answer questions than just volunteer information). If you don't think that will work, write some points down tonight and give it to her to read. Again, it's a good starting point. Then just continue to be brave and make sure you meet with her. Hopefully that will be the start of you getting some support. Also, given your age, your wish to keep things confidential should be listened to and accepted (unless you are seen to be a risk to yourself or others)
Hey, thank you for replying, I'm getting in a bit of a panic thinking about it. I am the worst person for opening up, I've never receive any help and always dealt with things on my own, which sometimes proves not the best method. Im in two minds, I want to sort something out but I also wish i'd just not done anything. I've struggled with issues for so long that I don't even know where to start and I'm not sure how she's going to take it.

W

Waverunner

The panic once you have taken that first step is often the worst part and the actual opening up whilst hard is not as bad as we think it may be. She's taken the time to arrange to meet with you, that already shows a level of caring and you may find you feel better just for sharing. You don't have to tell her everything at once, share a bit and see how she reacts before you decide what else to share. At the end of the day, you still have control.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi Becca and welcome to the forum.

Waverunner has given some really good advice. You're bound to feel scared and panicky but there often comes a time when we realise we just can't do this on our own any more. I think you've made a good decision reaching out for help and I hope your meeting goes well tomorrow. :hug1:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum Becca.
I can't really add much to what's already been said.
It's a really positive step forward that you've arranged to have a proper talk with your teacher.
And it's natural that now you'd be panicking and having second thoughts about whether or not you want to open up to her.
It's quite likely that she'll suggest you talk to your GP about all of this, so i'm not sure how you'd feel about that.
Having said that, she might also know of other resources that would be available to you. I'm not sure.

If you can be brave and stick to your arrangement tomorrow, I think it'll ultimately be a good thing. You really don't have to struggle on your own any more.

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

hello and welcome :peace:

W

Waverunner

Hi Becca. Was wondering how things went?