• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How quickly can mania come on?

G

Galaxy

Hi,

After being hospitalised twice in 2020 due to mania/psychosis I am now trying to be really mindful of my moods.

I had been in a depressive phase from late Oct last year. This week I feel my mood has really lifted. I want to think it is the depression lifting but it feels maybe 'too much' for just this - very energetic, racing head, lots of plans and ideas, words and phrases I'm hearing linking to song lyrics (which I know definitely happens in mania for me), not feeling tired despite my sleep being very poor for a good few weeks.

Can depression switch to possible start of mania so suddenly? Feel like other times I've had a bit of a gap between lows and highs.

On one hand this feels so great after a few months of feeling so depressed but equally I don't want it to run if it is going to end up in full manic episode/psychosis again.

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What you describe does sound like hypomania to me. And I do believe it can happen this quickly; actually I don't find what you describe really "quick".
I once had a very sudden onset of mania that turned into full blown psychosis in a heartbeat. So yes, it can happen quickly.

Do you have a psychiatrist and are you on any meds?

G

Galaxy

Thanks for the reply Blue Opal. Hopefully I can try and have some down time over weekend and calm a bit. You confirmed what I am worried about re full blown psychosis as that is what happened twice last year resulting in the sectionings.

I do have a psychiatrist. I actually have a med review with them on 2nd Feb. Currently on Lamictal/Lamotrigine but know they are suggesting adding lithium or quetiapine/seroquel.

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Try to get enough sleep, that is very important. If your mood keeps going up, would it be possible to contact your psychiatrist earlier than 2 February?
Don't let it get to full mania and definitely not to psychosis if you can stop it.
Take care!

JessisMe

JessisMe

Mania can come on somewhat abruptly. It’s good that you are watching your moods and mind state and keeping an eye on things so they don’t spiral. I have had three manic episodes with psychosis and had to be committed (sectioned) for two of them so I know how bad they can get and how scary it can be during/after. I am on Lithium and Lamotrigine and have not had problems with mania since i have been on them. I take invega sustenna for the psychosis too. I would just continue to take good care of yourself. I would definitely contact your psychiatrist, explain to them the situation and ask them if you can get an earlier appointment. They may have additional advice to offer you on how to stave off a full blown episode and at the very least they should be kept in the loop. I hope this passes for you soon. xo, j

G

Galaxy

Thanks JessisMe and Blue Opal. I have been very energised all weekend - full clean of the house Saturday and walking with sister yesterday, more tidying and sorting then ended up painting my kitchen wall at 10.00.

Without me saying anything to my sister about my thoughts on my mood, she said she thought I was a bit manic then I spoke to my mum on the phone yesterday evening and she said the same. I was wide awake again at 2.30am this morning.

I had a prearranged call with my GP this morning (she's lovely and calls me every other week to check in) and she says definitely contact my CPN/Psych so that's my plan for today.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Can depression switch to possible start of mania so suddenly? Feel like other times I've had a bit of a gap between lows and highs.
often there is a slow cycling. a month or two of lows then slowly evolves into a month or two of highs and back and forth. with little highs in the lows and little lows in the highs (mixed states). if the transition is slow then there can be periods in between that feel normal. then a person may feel like they are not sick and go off meds or feel guilty about being in disability etc... but then they pass. if the transition is faster then it can be jarring on the body and confusing for the mind. when the low turns into a high it can feel like a spiritual awakening or something. it can feel like a gift from god. When the high turns into a low the person can end up feeling guilty or frustrated because they have lost all their energy and intelligence and confidence etc... so they have to learn to let it all go and settle into the new state.

G

Galaxy

Well everyone is now telling me I am manic. Was supposed to see my CPN yesterday but we had bad snow so she couldn't get here but did speak to her on the phone. She said she'd give the pdoc a heads up as I had my follow up telephone appointment at 4pm yesterday. He really wants me to start on the lithium. I'm still less sure but have agreed to go and have the ECG and required bloods done tomorrow. Just really don't want to end up low again and at the moment feel I am managing fine

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

I took a mood stabilizer when I turned manic.I had Mania anxiety and paranoia for close to a year after being diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. Both of these disorders ended up creating a lot of stress in my life. All of them led to serious complications mood wise and decided to discontinue some of my medication. This only helped temporarily and now am back on medication with success. Good luck finding your answers and good treatment.

HLon99

HLon99

Yes, affective switches are common in rapid cycling type of bipolar disorder. Typically, full blown mania takes 2-4 weeks to develop, but hypomania can come on much quicker than that.

Now that you know the early warning signs, you should be better prepared for an episode. Contact your psychiatrist immeadiately and get help.

G

Galaxy

Had a call yesterday to say my ECG and bloods were all OK so I'm due to collect lithium prescription on Monday and start that eve. Kind of sad as still feeling good mania but know is sensible to start it. Damn brain

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Had a call yesterday to say my ECG and bloods were all OK so I'm due to collect lithium prescription on Monday and start that eve. Kind of sad as still feeling good mania but know is sensible to start it. Damn brain
It is nice to slow down slightly, I don't think you will become depressed, just more level. The longer you are hypomanic, the higher you go in my experiece. Lamictal should prevent a crash.