• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How quick can you go from one mood to another?

G

germit

I ask because i have only recently been diagnosed so this is all new to me. I have been hypomanic for the last two weeks, been quite irritable, been VERY industrious around the house except with the odd spot of dancing in the garden in the early hours with my headphones on lol but my cpn is monitoring me, i thought it was a mixed state but i was told it sounded like i was hypomanic. However, this morning my mood has dropped extremely low and i am crying at everything and keep thinking "why am i even here?" and the thoughts of ending it are back. Its all come so suddenly, nothing has happened to trigger it really except an argument with my teenage daughter but we argue all the time (teenage stuff) and now i think im going mad. I don't want to tell my other half as prior to my hypo i had a full blown manic episode which led to my diagnosis and prior to that a severe depression where i was self harming. They gave me anti depressants which led to the full blown manic episode but i told them a long list of stuff i have done over the years which they have now said were manic episodes, including affairs, drinking, fighting,getting into debt etc
Is it possible to go from being so high one day to so low the next? am i going mad?
I'm only on Apriprazole atm.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Foxjo

Foxjo

Hi Germit
I dont think your going mad it just feels like it.
Im on on the same med as you and they have helped me stabilise my mood. My moods before could change during a day! Definitely try and explain how you feel to your cpn, maybe you need to add another medication to the mix?
Talking helps, plenty of people here understand and can support you.
Hugs
Fox

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hi Germit. I'm sorry you are going through so much endless changes. Moods changing every hour is called rapid cycling. I use to have that. I take lithium and navane and my mood is pretty much steady and the same all the time now. I hope you will have some relief from this soon. :hug5:

V

vintage85

I am on two anti-psychotics, an anti-anxiety, an anti-depressant, some kind of anti-nightmare (Prazosin), and on an anti-seizure (I don't have seizures, I have spasms), and even on all that I still experience rapid changes in mood. Unfortunately, it is something that many of us have to contend with even with medication. Although, it seems like your on one medication. Have you explained all of this to your psychiatrist? He may be able to help. Otherwise, I have found journaling to be a useful tool for directing and focusing my thoughts.

B

Bellybeans

Not diagnosed.. yet. But I was put on sertraline (for paranoia/intrusive thoughts) it made me full blown manic (which has happened before), and I was suffering with hallucinations. I too have been put on arpiprazole and I'm only on day 5, but I am extremely mixed like you. Or at least I feel mixed. I keep randomly crying. Im suicidal, but also very wired and hyper. But I have a feeling that's a withdrawal from sertraline as he pulled me off of them pretty quick. I'm only on 5mg for a week, then I increase slowly. What dosage are you on?

Edit: forgot the point of my post LOL basically I can have mood changes within a few hours. But then I have other ones that last weeks, and sometimes months.

G

germit

Hi thanks for all the replies.
Im on 10 mg. Been on them coming up for almost 2 weeks now. Im now extremely low. Crying all the time, have been the last two days, though my hyperness is still there and its manafesting in cleaning. Im obsessed with cleaning, even in the early hours of the morning (3am) im getting no more than 2-3hrs sleep a night.
Its like i want to just lie and not move as i have no energy but my brain wont let me and i have this complusion to clean. Im also writing my poems again. I write poetry, lots of it, but only when im up or down, i can never write when im "ok" the latest i wrote last night at about quarter to four in the morning it might sum up how i am...
The bipollercoaster

Look at me i’m way up high, My god i want to Fly!!
i see Jesus, i can touch the stars, I am a bird up in the sky!!
The view up here’s amazing, i feel so invincible so alive!
There is nothing i cannot do, i have so much energy and drive.
Higher up i go now, the sun and i now one,
Charging my body’s energy field,It burns now as brightly as the sun.
Sex and drink and spending my mind it craves them in reckless glee
While to others they are destructive, nothing or no-one can touch me.
But wait! The view is changing, I’m no longer at the top,
I feel the carriage moving downwards ,Someone make it stop!
Faster to the floor now, The ground is getting near,
My pulse it starts to quicken, I feel panic grief and fear.
Thoughts of shame engulf me, they smother every breath,
I cannot seem to shake them, should i jump from this ride unto my death?
Should i continue this ride further? with the ground now so close in view?
My mind now tired and racing at not knowing what to do.
The indecision costs me as the carriage it crash lands,
I drag my broken body from the wreckage, barely wanting/able to stand.
Just let me lie down here i beg you, let the ground reclaim my soul,
For what you see is a fractured person I am not complete, i am not whole.
I have seen all the bad things, this body of mine has done,
I know the kind of person, that i have now become.
But wait! I see another rollercoaster, out of the corner of my eye.
I drag myself up to it, i think “it’s worth a try”
Into the carriage i stumble, this one slightly different from the last,
Making vows that i will learn, from the mistakes made in the past.
But as we climb i feel the rush, the oh! so familiar high,
I have no time for looking back, when i’m now focused on the sky.

M

Mixedeyes

I like a yo yo and it is really doing my head in. Really short periods between each mood

C

Clareerin

I can totally relate, I'm like a yoyo when I'm normally fairly stable these days.

It drives me mad and I get so frustrated and feel hopeless.
See no point in pushing myself to do many anything or create a healthy routine coz I know I'll either crash back down and be unable to achieve anything or creep back up and be chaotic.
I live day to day, funny how 'normal' folk think they'd love living in the moment but in reality its totally life limiting.
Im about to go through my first meds change in 6 yrs. I so hope it helps.

M

Mixedeyes

Clareerin, I ago living for the moment is hard. Can't make to many plans, not knowing what mood your going to be in. Or how your going to feel in the morning. Sometimes feel like no one understands and that people just think I'm lazy.

C

Clareerin

You're definitely not lazy, bipolar is exhausting. Yes I also feel that noboidy really understands and so I mostly dont bother trying to explain it which makes me feel more isolated and alone. I'm working on that.

M

Mixedeyes

Yeh I feel isolated and alone, think it's more exhausting trying to make people understand that we have a illness. It is true if people can't see that your ill then you must be ok. Even if on the inside you are screaming 😠

G

George10111

Hi germit. It is definitely possible to go from one extreme to the next, especially a good mood to a bad mood. Often times its hard to go from a really bad mood to a really good mood in a short time, at least for me. I go through the highest of highs and lowest lows multiple times in the same day like an endless roller coaster so I know how you feel. Good luck.