• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

how organized are you?

M

midnightpanda

So, we all know the stereotyped vision of someone with ocd. Super organized. Well, heres my question...how organized are all of you?
I ask because I am super unorganized. My house is cluttered. Purse a mess. Car a mess. Backpack and school work crinkled and unorganized.
In my head i have this desire to keep everything super organized. I can see in my head how i want things.
Like, with my daughters toys. The system for organization i have in my mind would be immaculent and perfect.
But i feel like it is not attainable. Therefore, i rationalize in my mind that since perfection in this aspect is unattainable, i will avoid it at all costs. And i leave everything a mess and avoid looking at it.
I just avoid the messy rooms in my house because their lack or organization annoys me and simulatneously wont attempt to fix it because i cant acheive my perfect vision.
Anyone seem to feel this way?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

If I am in a full time job, I am a totally disaster. Behind with everything, crumbled letters, letters unopened, messy kitchen.

Now I am on benefits, I am slowly getting better. But it is taking time.

Kerome

Kerome

I can be really organised in short bursts. Then I go on a cleaning and tidying spree, or start planning projects.

But most of the time I'm a bit messy and disorganised. I keep up with my mail but that's taken time to instill as a habit. My house is not that tidy, opened and paid bills all over my study, kitchen a bit of a mess. My iPhone has been a blessing, it's been a great way to organise contacts, meetings, and so on.

Rowan

Rowan

I am really organised. I know exactly where everything in my house at all times. It drives my husband nuts but if he was in charge he would lose everything.

M

Mastiff mom

I am pretty neat for the most part. Having a housekeeper helps a lot-- I tidy and then she does all the scrubbing and dusting. I couldn't keep this whole house clean if I tried on my own--it's too big-- 6 bedrooms, 5 baths. It seems ridiculously big now that our kids are off at school.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I can totally identify with you. My apartment is a huge disaster, but it takes a monumental effort to get it all tidied up and keep it that way. I feel like my mind is so cluttered and disorganized and reflects in my physical surroundings. When I start to do a major clean-up, I get so anxious and don't know where to start. I start one task and get distracted by something else that needs doing and I flit from one task to another, not really ever finishing one thing at a time. The rare times when I do get everything cleaned and tidied, I feel like I am better able to relax in my home. I don't have OCD.
So, we all know the stereotyped vision of someone with ocd. Super organized. Well, heres my question...how organized are all of you?
I ask because I am super unorganized. My house is cluttered. Purse a mess. Car a mess. Backpack and school work crinkled and unorganized.
In my head i have this desire to keep everything super organized. I can see in my head how i want things.
Like, with my daughters toys. The system for organization i have in my mind would be immaculent and perfect.
But i feel like it is not attainable. Therefore, i rationalize in my mind that since perfection in this aspect is unattainable, i will avoid it at all costs. And i leave everything a mess and avoid looking at it.
I just avoid the messy rooms in my house because their lack or organization annoys me and simulatneously wont attempt to fix it because i cant acheive my perfect vision.
Anyone seem to feel this way?

M

MaGNeSS

Yes it is the same case with me. I know that it is unattainable. It will get dusty again and it won't be totally clean. That's how I think unfortunately.

R

Raache

I am super organized in some aspects of life, and super messy in others. I enjoy categorizing my stuff (but hate cleaning), putting everything into a different folders, the more complex it is, the better. Organizing my clothes by the colour, fabric thickness, sleeve lenght etc; my books by size, topic, author, basically any category that comes to my mind. After some time I change the pattern, and by that time all is already messy, because I can't keep those things in order.
So, yeah, it's about the details. My room usually just looks like a hurricane went through it. As for the time schedule, tasks to do etc, I keep everything in my mind, no need for calendar or sth.

D

Dottyone

I am ocd with cleaning to the extreme, but my brain is messed up, I dont think of one subject for longer than 30 seconds I am random in mind and random in behavour, random to talk too, if my life was as organised as my cleaning then I would be in a much better place.

I miss complete words out while typing on the forum because I am thinking 3 words in front.

random and disorganised

A

anatta

Awful, awful, because I have ADD as well. Can't stand the OCPD stereotype. While there is a higher rate of OCPD among people with OCD, about 30%, there's also a somewhat higher rate of ADD, and people with a superficial/inaccurate understanding of one or both can't seem to understand that it's even possible.

As a group, those of us who have both ADD and OCD have significantly more autistic traits than people who have OCD or ADD alone, suggesting there is some kind of genetic or bio-environmental cause unique to that co-morbidity. It's definitely real.

When I take methylphenidate for it I'm as organised as anybody else, but still not more organised or tidy than the average person.