• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How often do you self harm?

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

At the moment it’s almost daily for me.

Is that really bad?

How often do you do it?

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
Yes it is very sad, so much, too much. How long have you been like this for? It is very serious and needs help KittyCat. Do you have help?

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

On here because it’s anonymous I feel like I can be completely honest, the urges to harm myself are becoming impossible to ignore. I’m trying so hard to distract myself.

I used to self harm a couple of years ago and only started again recently but definitely worse than last time.

I feel so alone.

FallingLeaves

FallingLeaves

Hey KittyCat,

I just wanted to come on to offer my thoughts.

For me, I think about it every day - several times a day - specifically one particular image that is burned into my brain that just flashes up randomly throughout the day. It is worst at night when I'm trying to get to sleep, in the period between shutting off my phone/laptop and actually dropping off.

Sometimes I can brush it off like 'this is an irrational thought, go away' but other times I just break down crying because I really really don't want to hurt myself but I feel so helpless.

Stay strong xxx

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

not much anymore ,my bf gets upset when i do it and made me promise not too x the urge is so strong sometimes
you are not alone ,we care ,keep posting x

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

I’m not sure how much I can say in this forum. Could anyone pm with me to talk more openly?

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

At the moment it’s almost daily for me.

Is that really bad?
Anytime is bad. Right?

How often do you do it?
Last time: today.
Before that a couple of weeks ago.
Before December: 15 years ago

Wishbone

Wishbone

Do you not find it more of a hindrance to read posts about it on here? Like a constant reminder planting that idea in your head again and again?

B

Bod

Former member
It's so long ago when I last self harmed that I can't actually remember but I know it was a long time ago, as in the end it did not give me the release I always got so I just stopped. Don't get me wrong though as when I get really down I do think about it.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Do you not find it more of a hindrance to read posts about it on here? Like a constant reminder planting that idea in your head again and again?

I have come here when not feeling well. It's usually at night if I am having some thoughts. I usually don't post but reading or "staring" here helps me feel less isolated. Sometimes I am not even reading, just kind of staring at a page, but it gives me somewhere to go that feels less alone.

Is this hindering for you? 💗

Wishbone

Wishbone

Does it have to be the self-harming forum though? I mean, couldn't you just do that in a more general thread instead? It feels too specific to me, as someone that has self-harmed in the past, any mention of it makes me feel ill, I don't know why anyone would want a constant reminder. It seems like it would make you want to do it more if anything, when surely the objective should be to do it less. I'd be interested to hear differing viewpoints on this.

(P.S: I only replied to this because I saw it off to the side in the latest posts, I didn't come to this specific forum)

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I can see that. When it was in my past, I didn't want any reminders either. Sorry.