• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How often do you phone/text family members?

Gajolene

Gajolene

Out of five siblings and several cousins, and one distanced child, I post to one sister, one brother, one cousin and my son only through fb. The rest of my family I've been estranged from too many years to have any kind of relationship and one sister I disowned because of her abusive treatment. The rest of my family has passed on.
We keep tabs on each other, but actually don't text very often. I don't own a cell phone, so all my texting is through computer

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
usually i speak to my parents 6 times a week on skype or phone call i skype isn't working.
i might email my brother once a year but i see him when i visit my parents house sometimes.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I think Helena went through something similar, could be wrong. How do other folks handle phone anxiety? Personally I'd throw the phone out the window if I could. I have huge phone anxiety.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I speak to my parents on the phone every night.
My sister, I speak to her twice a week and probably text her twice a week too.
Extended family, I don't really bother with to be honest.

Are you sure your family feel annoyed when you phone them more often due to anxiety?
Not that I don't believe you, what I mean is, i'm sure they care about you deep down.
Any irritation might simply be because they're frustrated that they don't know how they can help, rather than any frustration with you personally.

And with regards to phone anxiety, I hate phoning anybody other than my parents or sister. Hate it. :yuck:

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I'm exactly the same with the phone anxiety. It's pants!

I live in the same town as my family but my mum still phones me every day (checking up on me, I think). Mind you, I phone or text my daughter quite often - more to speak to my lovely little grandson than her though :)

I text one of my sisters quite regularly but the other only texts when she needs something. This said, we all see each other at least once a week. I guess we're just a close family. I wouldn't really want it any other way.

Mister.B

Mister.B

I have phone anxiety, but I am fine with calls in my routine.

So I can talk to my dad with ease...But I still only do it like once every two weeks.

Kerome

Kerome

I speak to my mum maybe three times a week via FaceTime, find it just a bit better than Skype, and I see my dad maybe five times a week usually for morning coffee. We live close by, it's great. My stepbrother I text maybe every other month, to see how he's doing, but my stepsister I haven't spoken in years, she doesn't want contact and blocked me from her facebook page! Other extended family I see maybe once every few months, contact is infrequent though I usually text or call for birthdays.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

See my dad all the time.

My brother never calls/texts - it is always me who has to make the first move. Given up now. He is older than me too!
My cousin in Sri Lanka texts me on my birthday. We get on well, we spent a holiday together once.
I used to be in regular contact with a cousin in Scotland, but stopped now.
I think they are all on facebook but I don't bother with that site - don't really understand it.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i am similar but probably different. mine is more call them up, hello they say. i say i changed my mind i dont want to speak. then i do that about 10+ times. i also tend to put then phone down every time they say something i dont like and tell them i never want to speak to them again usually swearing at them a lot. then call them up 30 mins later for the same thing to happen. which would get rather annoying. :redface:

have they told you it is annoying?
maybe you could call something like the Samaritans sometimes to see if that helps instead of ringing your family.

BlueBerry

BlueBerry

I almost never phone my family. Phone calls take up so much money. I topped up my mobile with £10 the other week, then made a phone call to my mum that lasted almost 10 mins, which knocked my phone credit down to about £6. Yikes.

My mum and grandparents phone me once a week. I haven't spoken to my sister at all since I saw her during the summer.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Gosh I'm quite surprised by how often some people say they phone family members. I only have two full blood relatives and although they both live 500 miles + away from me I only phone them about once a fortnight and I never text them or speak to them on FB or similar.

pepecat

pepecat

Same..... I talk to my parents maybe every two or three weeks, and very very rarely text or email them.
I talk to my brother every two or three months or so, and again, text now and again but not often at all. Every couple of months or so.

I don't get what people who call their parents a lot say to them?!. My partner talks to her parents at least once a day, and they don't seem to have much to say to each other, from why I can hear.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
It is different situation for people who live with partners or who have friends they talk to. i think it is good to talk to another person most days.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N People 3