• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How often do you hit a depressive episode after a manic one?

K

keith74

My wife typically goes into a depressive episode shortly after her manic episode subsides. Is that typical for most people? Just curious how common it is for people with bipolar 1 to come down from a severe manic episode without going into a depression.

Thanks

JessisMe

JessisMe

I usually go into a deep depression after mania. A lot of this usually involves realizing what I had done while manic. I’m in mania for up to a year and the next year depressed. xo, j

K

keith74

Yes my wife typically gets depressed when she looks back on some of her behavior when manic. Also in past hospitalizations for mania, they have given her some potent meds to bring her mania down which has caused her to fall into depressions right away

HLon99

HLon99

Depends if you're a rapid cycler or not. For people with classic bipolar, they usually have several weeks or sometimes months between episodes. For rapid cyclers such as myself, we typically have little to no break of normality in between.

HLon99

HLon99

Yes my wife typically gets depressed when she looks back on some of her behavior when manic. Also in past hospitalizations for mania, they have given her some potent meds to bring her mania down which has caused her to fall into depressions right away
If they're giving her antimanic meds and she's a rapid cycler, they really ought to give her lamotrigine or lithium to prevent the depression. This is something you really need to take up with the hospital.

M

Manic16

For me, non-medicated, daily I wake up and within hour or 2 my mood starts to dip hitting a low low at around 7-8am.. Around 11-12 i notice a climb to the highest point of my day around 4-5pm. It’s noticeable 180 degrees different then my morning. But when I’m at home on my weekends I stay busy around the house workout and spend time with my kids which that really helps me take the focus off myself. Almost daily I go thru this cycle. I drink a lot in the evenings which helps

h_put2021

h_put2021

Mine have ben almost mixed lately... feeling the energy and productivity from mania (as well as the irritability, lack of sleep and anxiety), however I do also feel very out of control and kind of sad? But I usually cycle into a lower mood after about a week or 2 of being manic.

h_put2021

h_put2021

If they're giving her antimanic meds and she's a rapid cycler, they really ought to give her lamotrigine or lithium to prevent the depression. This is something you really need to take up with the hospital.
Quick question going off of your comment — does lamotrigine help with mania AND depression?

HLon99

HLon99

Quick question going off of your comment — does lamotrigine help with mania AND depression?
Lamotrigine has only been show to be effective for treatment and prevention of Depressive episodes. It has also shown modest efficacy in preventing manic relapse by slowing down the rate of 'cycling' of bipolar disorder, which is why it is so good for rapid cyclers. However, it has not been shown to be effective at treating an active manic episode.

From personal experience, it has helped my mild hypomania somewhat, but nowhere near as much as it helps the depression. For the mania, I use Aripiprazole (Abilify). Which meds are you on right now?

h_put2021

h_put2021

Lamotrigine has only been show to be effective for treatment and prevention of Depressive episodes. It has also shown modest efficacy in preventing manic relapse by slowing down the rate of 'cycling' of bipolar disorder, which is why it is so good for rapid cyclers. However, it has not been shown to be effective at treating an active manic episode.

From personal experience, it has helped my mild hypomania somewhat, but nowhere near as much as it helps the depression. For the mania, I use Aripiprazole (Abilify). Which meds are you on right now?
Just now starting lamotrigine. I’m at 25 and then up to 50. I’m asking my doctor if there’s something to help with the mania though.

HLon99

HLon99

Just now starting lamotrigine. I’m at 25 and then up to 50. I’m asking my doctor if there’s something to help with the mania though.
That's a good idea. I saw from your other posts that you were suffering mood-incongruent delusions. So its prob best if you ask him to add an atypical antipsychotic as opposed to lithium/valproate, so as to take care of both problems. Is the lamotrigine going well?

HLon99

HLon99

Found this handy chart comparing mood stabilisers as well as antipsychotics and their side effects.

Attachments

h_put2021

h_put2021

Found this handy chart comparing mood stabilisers as well as antipsychotics and their side effects.
Thank you so much for this! I am on lamotrigine and she assured me that it would help with my (hypo)mania and depression. I am still titrating up so I'm not at the full dose yet. Fingers crossed! If not, we will see what happens after my follow up appt.

HLon99

HLon99

Thank you so much for this! I am on lamotrigine and she assured me that it would help with my (hypo)mania and depression. I am still titrating up so I'm not at the full dose yet. Fingers crossed! If not, we will see what happens after my follow up appt.
You're very welcome. Hope everything goes well for you and if you have any more questions or just want to talk, shoot.