• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

How often do you have passive suicidal thoughts?

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Passive suicidal thoughts are thoughts without a plan and without intent, such as "I wish I were dead" or "life is not worth living." (I'm 62 and have had depression since I was a teenager. Now the depression is severe and treatment-resistant.) I used to have these thoughts on a daily basis. But since I asked my psychiatrist three weeks ago to put me on Ritalin, I no longer have these thoughts. Ritalin is a stimulant and is used to treat ADD/ADHD. I don't have these conditions, but I wanted to try it to see if it would help me with my utterly poor concentration. It doesn't, but I feel so much better on it. Since it's a stimulant, I feel so much more energetic and "up." I was pleasantly surprised that it really helps quiet those passive suicidal thoughts.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

Good for you! I’m glad you found some relief. I have also considered asking for a stimulant. I scream it out loud at home. I’m sure the neighbours have heard me. It comes and goes but happens every day I think. I try not to keep track of how often I say it.

jajingna

jajingna

Glad to hear it has improved your mood. Didn't know Ritalin can be used to treat depression.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I read this:

Can ritalin be used to treat depression?

Research from Harvard Medical School found that Ritalin and other psychostimulants are sometimes used for chronic depression that does not respond to conventional antidepressants. Ritalin works rapidly and is thus effective for the treatment of acute depression where the patient needs immediate relief.

Aug 10, 2016

F

Faded

It's good you found something that works for you.

I have those thoughts everyday.

M

m00tpoint

I'm doing somewhat better after 8 weeks of intensive treatment for my decades-old depression. Before treatment I had those thoughts ever hour or two.

2Much2Feel

Yes, it really helped me w depression as well. Modafinil is the stimulant my shrink just started me on last week, and it too is seeming to be helpful now that I've been on it for a week. They work quickly and can help a lot in getting out of a rut when we have no energy and motivation. Really glad to hear it is working for you, @MeAndMyDepression, know you've struggled and this is great news :) xx

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

I thought that was well-informed about the treatment of depression but the use of Ritalin is entirely new to me. I wonder if anyone here in the UK has been treated with this???

2Much2Feel

I thought that was well-informed about the treatment of depression but the use of Ritalin is entirely new to me. I wonder if anyone here in the UK has been treated with this???
yes, I wish there was more info out there about this, as it has been more helpful to me than most antidepressants. Really, really helps with mood and energy. xx

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

I read this:

Can ritalin be used to treat depression?

Research from Harvard Medical School found that Ritalin and other psychostimulants are sometimes used for chronic depression that does not respond to conventional antidepressants. Ritalin works rapidly and is thus effective for the treatment of acute depression where the patient needs immediate relief.

Aug 10, 2016
If you track that down it actually refers to paper published in 2004 Using Psychostimulants to Treat Depression in the Medically Ill

There seems to be very little published since then concerning this approach. It is one of those "Off Label" uses of a drug which I think tend only to be tried by well-established senior doctors?

jajingna

jajingna

I have those sorts of thoughts sometimes, and they can be oddly comforting. I'm not sure it's any real wish to die, more like just being tired or fed up with things. It's normal enough to want things to be better. Sometimes you just feel like it never does get better or maybe it never will. Then those thoughts can come creeping. They are not scary thoughts for me. If daily life is unhappy, frustrating, disappointing, a struggle for a long time, you want all that to change somehow, or to be out of it. Suicidal thoughts aren't always a bad thing even if they are considered taboo. They happen because you're not enjoying life. Really you just want to not be in pain or sadness anymore.

C

cathanifrind174

I have these thoughts a lot less than I used to but I didn't know there was a drug to help with this. I should speak to my doctor about this.

I usually feel good for sometime and then suddenly I fall back into the never-ending loop of passive thoughts of suicide. I have never tried anything specifically to treat. Now I know from experience that it is temporary and it's just a question of time before it goes away.

It'd be happy to try out any drug that is a long-term cure for passive suicide thoughts but I don't think there is any magic potion to overcome it once and for all. Now I have resigned to the fact that these thoughts will come again but that it is up to me to not give too much importance to these thoughts.

I take these thoughts seriously though and I do everything I can to change these thoughts. But I am still to reluctant to talk about it directly to anyone, including my doctor, because who wants to be the person who is constantly thinking about his death? I ought to be more humble.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

I’ve learned how to use it as a gauge for how I’m doing. I do it much less when I’m doing better. Thankfully, I’m doing better lately.

I find I do feel an instant release when I do it. And the dangerous part is that sometimes I’ll do it every minute. I won’t let myself do it that often anymore because it just starts a spiral into madness.

Its not so much an action I want to carry out but a reaction to a sudden rush of mental pain.

M

ManDss

I dont have them a lot. Maybe just 7 days max per month, to make a stadistic. Its not usual, but sometimes the feelings pop. Never had an attempt, and its just the feeling. Sometimes I really think this could be an option in the future, because things are just too bad, but... its really an idea that doesnt attracts me at all, so its just a feeling, I would hate to do that.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Yes, it really helped me w depression as well. Modafinil is the stimulant my shrink just started me on last week, and it too is seeming to be helpful now that I've been on it for a week. They work quickly and can help a lot in getting out of a rut when we have no energy and motivation. Really glad to hear it is working for you, @MeAndMyDepression, know you've struggled and this is great news :) xx
Be careful with the Modafinil (Provigil). I was put on Nuvigil by my sleep doctor at the time to help me with my sleep apnea and daytime sleepiness. My doctor put me on twice the recommended maximum dose. I went into full-blown mania, maybe for two or three months. It was utterly horrible, and I think that was the real reason why they terminated me from my job.