• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

How often do you have PASSIVE suicidal thoughts?

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I have passive suicidal thoughts almost on a daily basis. Sometimes I get into a loop and it's very difficult to get out of it. My previous nurse practitioner thought I had OCD with suicidal ideation. My current psychiatrist never brought up this diagnosis. Here is what the difference between passive and active suicidality is:

If you are in crisis, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

Passive vs. active suicidality is something some people have problems wrapping their heads around. I can say with absolute certainty I’m suicidal… I have been for almost a year now. However, it’s passive. The difference between the two is very simple (but also super complex). Being passively suicidal means you wish to die. Actively suicidal is just that — you’ve got your plan and you’re planning on going through with the plan.

P

Purpleplum

And there's also not wanting to live which is not the same as wanting to die.

anex

anex

When I get triggered badly in relationships, I will start thinking passive suicidal thoughts. Or what purpleplum said. It is unpredictable but it doesn’t happen too often. Not lately, at least. I’m sorry it is every day for years. That’s horrible to live with.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I forgot that this forum is international. Here is what @NWiddi said:

If you’re thinking about suicide and are in immediate danger, please call your local emergency number (i.e. in the UK call 999, in the USA or Canada call 911, in Australia call 000 and in New Zealand call 111) or call the international emergency number of 112.

If you have been affected by the contents of this thread and would like to speak to someone about your feelings you can call one of the following helplines:

In the UK and Ireland, the Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123.
In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.
In Canada, the Suicide Prevention Service on 1.833.456.4566.
In Australia, the crisis support service Lifeline is on 13 11 14.
In New Zealand, the Need to Talk service is on 1737 or 080017371737.
Other international helplines can be found at www.befrienders.org.

112 is the national emergency number in Romania.

jajingna

jajingna

Those passive suicidal thoughts for me are comforting and a coping mechanism. I had them frequently when I was ill. Still do sometimes. It's just like, wouldn't it be good to not struggle anymore? In lieu of actually having a better life there is comfort in imagining no more struggle. Seems like an aspect of suicidal thinking that people may overlook, as though it's bad to have such thoughts. I find them valuable.

Sea_Green

Sea_Green

I have very passive suicidal thoughts almost every day. So passive that I don't even want to do it, I don't even really mean to think it. Then actually not wanting to be alive probably happens every one or two weeks but without the intention to act on it despite how much I sometimes want to.

Queen of darkness

Queen of darkness

i have learnt something here i didnt know the term passive suicidality it kind of fits how ive been feeling for many years off and on but its more like i just want there to be nothing no more hurt or pain or sadness i don't want to die but it's the only way i can see to stop feeling this way sorry if i havent made a lot of sense

M

Mulder91

Being honest I do think about it a lot, but I'm not planning anything. I have that voice in my head telling me it's pointless to keep on going, I've wasted my life and so on. But I am able to ignore them by reading or sleeping, listening to music, spending time with my dog, distract myself. My medications make me feel like I can just about function, but that nagging feeling is always right there, in the back of my head, and I just wish it would fuck off.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Lately passive suicidality most every day and active suicidality about every other day. I hadn’t heard of the distinction used before so thanks for bringing it up today. It makes a lot of sense. xo, j

M

matt42069

Like almost everyday , i see death as an escape from all of my problems so whenever i think that i want my pain to go away its always suicide thoughts .