• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How often do you experience psychosis (question for people with Bipolar)?

P

Pink

I had a psychotic episode back in 2010. The psychiatrist decided it was ok to take me off antispychotics around a year ago. I was still feeling quite anxious so I asked for an antidepressant. Major mistake!! I had a psychotic episode not long after. Psychiatrist says it's mood related and the antidepressant did cause the psychosis. But I was in psychosis before I could even recognise I was having a mood episode. I only noticed after when I was told I was buying useless things once I came out of psychosis (a lot of the experience I do not even remember). Sometimes I doubt it is even mood related. It is friggin scary!

My question is how often do you experience psychosis and how long between episodes?

Wish4TheNight

Wish4TheNight

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I've had two psychotic episodes in one year. That's over 10 years ago and it hasn't happened since. Come to think of it they didn't really happen during a mood episode. They were caused by stress and antidepressants. The 2nd one was followed by a manic episode.

Wish4TheNight

Wish4TheNight

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks for the hugs!
I've been thinking about my post. I'm not sure if the 2nd psychosis happened during a mood episode. I mean, obviously I would have been depressed, otherwise I wouldn't have been prescribed an antidepressant. But it wasn't severe. The AD instantly caused anxiety (too much negative energy) and insomnia but I also experienced manic symptoms. That was not the case with the first psychotic episode.

P

Pink

Thanks for the hugs!
I've been thinking about my post. I'm not sure if the 2nd psychosis happened during a mood episode. I mean, obviously I would have been depressed, otherwise I wouldn't have been prescribed an antidepressant. But it wasn't severe. The AD instantly caused anxiety (too much negative energy) and insomnia but I also experienced manic symptoms. That was not the case with the first psychotic episode.
My first episode was different in that I wasn’t on meds. The second one I think was brought on by the antidepressant. Were you on Sertraline ?

Wish4TheNight

Wish4TheNight

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The 1st episode happened while on mirtazapine, but by that time I had been taking it for 2 years.
The 2nd one happened 5 days after starting fluoxetine.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I don't even know man. Thinking back there have been some times when I think "You were out of your damn mind!" but I can't say that I was experiencing psychosis because it doesn't feel right me saying it and not a doc giving their say on it. I've never told them some of these things so they wouldn't have had the chance for that. I can see delusional thinking in myself after the fact, but to say it was psychosis is harder for me to do.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Perhaps a good insight for myself was a few years back. In an episode, very messed up, and I was selling paintings at the time. I started doing some self-portraits that got more and more weird and alien from my usual (allegedly) human form. This was not intentional, it just went that way. Nobody would have bought these things, yet I did several of them. The standout factor was that the eyes were always red and there was a very dark tone to them, not quite evil, but if anything depicted psychosis for me, that would be it. I've seen plenty of people post on here or talk in documentaries etc about seeing things with red eyes. I didn't see anything, but this was my not-quite-so-successful Starry Night moment, of things showing in a different way. Only it wasn't clouds and stars, it was my own self that had morphed into something unrecognisable. I did some other stuff around that time that I do remember doing, but why I did them, who the hell knows.

Prettyroses99

Prettyroses99

I had them 3 or 4 times a year up until covid-19. I've been at home and unemployed for over a year now and I haven't had an episode. Being in a controlled environment away from people and stress is necessary to keep from a psychosis state.