How much weight gain should be expected? Zyprexa

A

arwilliams

EDIT: fixed math

I'm on Olanzapine/Zyprexa and I have gained over 45 pounds over 3 years.

Doing quick math 72(age of death)-22(current age) = 50 * 15= 750 pounds.

I can conclude rather quickly that the weight gain can't be linear.

What is a realistic weight gain expectation in the long term?

Seroquel I have read has similar weight gain side effects maybe someone could describe their weight gain on such if you aren't taking Zyprexa.

Last edited:
burt tomato

burt tomato

Weight gain usually stabilizes as you need to eat more to keep your size.

I have been on olanzapine for around 15 years, and I dont get any side effects now.

A

arwilliams

How many pounds did you have to gain until you stabilized onto a certain weight?

burt tomato

burt tomato

How many pounds did you have to gain until you stabilized onto a certain weight?
IDK. I never took that much interest in it. I am overweight, but I am also tall and have a broad frame. I tend to go through periods of loss and gain. I tend to go through phases of diet/ exercise and just not bothering.

G

Georgia May

I can conclude rather quickly that the weight gain can't be linear.

What is a realistic weight gain expectation in the long term?

Seroquel I have read has similar weight gain side effects maybe someone could describe their weight gain on such if you aren't taking Zyprexa.
I wasn't on olanzapine long but gained almost a stone in 5 weeks. I was on Seroquel and went from under 9 stone to about 12 stone 2 or 3. I don't know what that is in pounds. That was over 3 years. It never levelled out. I'm only 5 ft 1 and a woman so it was fat.

The Duellist

The Duellist

Here are two curves representing a study done on the probability and amount of weight gain on Zyprexa after 110 weeks. Notice most of the participants stabilized after week 50. It's a fun question, but you wouldn't be able to extrapolate that far into the future since variables affecting weight gain, such as metabolism, your appetite, hormone production aren't constant. I would bet your experience in the long term will be very similar to Burt's.

Kerome

Kerome

Great research, The Duellist. Makes me wonder if other drugs have been examined as carefully.

Also, that amount of weight gain is bound to have a measurable impact on life expectancy.

It's very relevant for me because I just discovered I've put on about 10 kgs in the past year... I obviously can't trust my instincts anymore and am going to have to commit to long-term regular weight monitoring and action in bursts!

A

arwilliams

> Also, that amount of weight gain is bound to have a measurable impact on life expectancy.

I hope not to much because I am pretty much stuck on Zyprexa.

G

Georgia May

It's the worst one for weight gain. I think Abilify is best for avoiding weight gain, in the UK. But it is expensive. That is because it has the least worst side effects. That doesn't make any sense to me since healthcare is supposed to be about just that. It just proves that it isn't. It's the opposite. The NHS must lose millions on obesity related side effects of medication, maybe that's something politicians should be looking at but since Big Pharma is so powerful it's not likely.

A

arwilliams

I didn't love abilify, but my problem is insomnia not price or alternative anti psychotics. Vraylar is a newish drug that also has no weight gain that I have liked.

I can't sleep without Zyprexa like at all. We may try Seroquel although I heard it is more sedating then Zyprexa.

It's also why I have asked questions about sleep in another thread.

A

arwilliams

Can you think of any long term studies? Because I'm concerned about being on the medication long term, but haven't found an alternative.

Last edited: