• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

How much weight did you gain on clozapine, if you gained any?

F

fluffpill

Did you gain weight on clozapine?

N

Nate

I've been on clozapine for a year and I've gained 40 lbs, plus I have metabolic syndrome. I have high amount of fat in my blood, and I'm pre diabetes. I think that the clozapine and Invega are to blame.

F

fluffpill

I've been on clozapine for a year and I've gained 40 lbs, plus I have metabolic syndrome. I have high amount of fat in my blood, and I'm pre diabetes. I think that the clozapine and Invega are to blame.
Thank you for your response.

fazza

fazza

@fazza have you ever been on clozapine?
Yes I have. I had to stop due to low neutrophils (type of white blood cell) My weight rocketed from around 80kg to 105kg but i felt fantastic with no symptoms
Can i help with anything? If so let me know

F

fluffpill

Yes I have. I had to stop due to low neutrophils (type of white blood cell) My weight rocketed from around 80kg to 105kg but i felt fantastic with no symptoms
Can i help with anything? If so let me know
I'll be starting it soon, so a bit worried. thanks for your response!

F

fluffpill

Don't have problems with weight and I've been on them for 4 years!
what do you think helped you not gain weight on clozapine? or was it just naturally not an issue? (like for me when i was on invega i started gaining weight and had severe constipation till i took magnesium for constipation everyday)

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
what do you think helped you not gain weight on clozapine? or was it just naturally not an issue? (like for me when i was on invega i started gaining weight and had severe constipation till i took magnesium for constipation everyday)
Exercise and learning to manage ways to suppress major appetite- coffee and tea helps me.

Ras

Ras

when i was on that i ended up gaining around 15kg. I was overeating and not being active at all though. i got weird on that medication. Glad to be off it now and back to my old self and weight

mandy125

mandy125

i was on this medication but had to come off of it due to a low white blood cell count i also put on weight and struggled to loose it until recently x

L

Lab rat

I have never been on clozapine, they wanted me on it because all the other meds failed. I did agree to go on it after months of me being hassled, but refused point blank the blood tests each week. I was honest and up front, in the end they left me on olanzapine and aripriprazole and I self manage the symptoms that bleed through. Olanzapine is supposed to be the worst one for weight gain, I went from 13 st to 15.5 st. I’m 6’1” so I don’t look too bad with the weight, just a bit of a paunch! And my weight hasn’t changed for 20 years.

the reason I wrote all that? I just wanted to let you know that there are other options to clozapine and if they fail, there’s always polypharmacy!